Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Hello    

Hello

mahaenglish
Egypt

Hello

Please anyone tell me about a good and creative way to explain the prepositions in on under next to thanksSmile

19 Mar 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, Mahaenglish. Please give us a little more info so we can help you, what are the age of your students. Do you only want ideas for the prepositions you mention? There are great worksheets on this site for prepositions, just look them up by content and you �ll find tons. But if what you �re looking for are not worksheets but classroom activities, it would help to know the grade and age of  your students!

Cheers,

Mar

19 Mar 2011     

Sleeping Beauty
Iran

Hi dear,
I think the best way is to bring some things to your class and put them in different parts of your class and then teach them the prepositions, then, ask them to have a look around the class and say where the classroom objects are.
For example bring a doll or even have a pen with your self in class and put it under your table and then on your table or put it in the wastebasket...
I think it will work!

Best wishes

Sleeping Beauty

19 Mar 2011     

mahaenglish
Egypt

I teach grade one. 7-8 years old students . Thanks for caring.

19 Mar 2011     

m.farvas
Malta

I used to find it effective to use the students themselves as resources.....Ask questions like "Who is sitting next to John?"  or statements like "Amy is sitting in front of Mandy". 

19 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

As a warm up you can have the ss follow along a you model. You put your hand over your head and say "over", on your head then "on", your finger in your mouth "in", your hand under your chin "under", next to your ear "next to". Speed it up up or slow it down... the kids get a kick out of it.

19 Mar 2011     

primpi
United Kingdom

I always find that   a total body response is a great way of teaching prepositions get you students to move  phiscally i say  next to the door on the desk  behind janet for example and they do it     under the chair under the table    and so on then you could get each student to give an order using  a preposition after all this movement you  give them a worksheet with the preposition and consolidate what you have done orally 

19 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Some great ideas have been given to you already. Here �s another... bring materials that can help you model the actions, e.g 2 big boxes, large stuffed animals, toy cars, 2 big bags, etc.

First you have to model for your students all the prepositions, with different actions, so they do not memorize or think that it can only be done one way.

Divide  your group into 2 teams. Even little ones enjoy healthy competition!

Have the frist student from each team come to the front where you have the materials. Call out a preopsition: "under" . The students must quickly represent the preposition with the materials you have. First student to do it correctly and say the complete sentence (the teddy bear is UNDER the box) wins a point.

At the end, the team with most points can get a prize, a little candy or something!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mar

19 Mar 2011     

mahaenglish
Egypt

Thanks Clap

19 Mar 2011     

Latoyan
Armenia

Hey everyone, the ideas you have shared here are really very interesting. Here is another way for teaching prepositions: http://wn.com/The_Prepositions_Song, in this link you are able to find lot �s of songs. I think singing helps kids remember the prepositions, and not only, in my classroom I usually use this method while explaining English grammar. Hope you like this method too. 

Sincerely Latoyan Annie Smile

23 Mar 2011