Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > V-O-C-A-B-U-L-A-R-Y-!-!-!    

V-O-C-A-B-U-L-A-R-Y-!-!-!

srachel
Israel

V-O-C-A-B-U-L-A-R-Y-!-!-!

HI!
I �m desperate for ideas how to make my students remember
 new (or old Wink) vocabulary!

(most of them have some learning disabilities)

Thanks in advance!

22 Mar 2011      

angelcris
Brazil

My dear friend,

You may try to work with word web and also motivate them to produce their own glossary.
If you want some more pieces of information, send me an email [email protected]

Cheers!

22 Mar 2011     

chiaras
Italy

In my opinion, if you want your students to remember new words you should make them work with them. For examples you could prepare exercises like that:

- fill in the gaps
- invent a sentence with the word...... (my students like this exercise very much)
- odd man out (for the younger kids)

Another way to involve them in vocabulary studying is to ask them to prepare a card with every new word they �ve learnt during your classes; you will keep all the cards in the drawer and at the beginning of every class you can revise them.

Building their own glossary can be useful too, but I �ve taught all my students to learn words in their typical contexts and not just as a list. For example, if we are reading a text and we find the word LOOK FOR (it happened yesterday!), I ask them, and then write on the board, all possible things they can look for: keys, job, a person, and so on. In this way, they partecipate in the building of their knowledge.

I �ve learned a lot about vocabulary teaching thanks to this book: "How to teach vocabulary" by Scott Thornbury- Longman

I have some students with disabilities too, and I know it may be difficult for them to remember words, but if they feel involved they may learn something too.

Have a nice day!
Chiara

22 Mar 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It sometimes helps if you build an memory association with a word from your native tongue which sounds somewhat similar. E.g. in Russian there �s a word which means "to drip" (about water) and it sounds just like the English word cup, so I could tell my ss that the water "kap-kap" (meaning drip-drip) into the cup. It �s very effective and they remember the words better.
One more example I used with my 7th-graders, when we were studying environmental protection, I said that "car fumes" is opposite to "perfume" -- in Ukrainian "parfumy", so I changed the first letter to make it "carfumy" and they remembered "car fumes" right away. 
I �m sure you can think of something in your language.
Sophia

22 Mar 2011     

teacher jessie
Argentina

You should try games and activities where they have a very active part. E.g make their own picture dictionary, if they use a folder they can add new vocabulary whenever you/they want.
playing games like hangman, or with a baloon (they stand up, thay have to keep the baloon from falling onthe floor, every time they touch the baloon they say a word related to the category you give them).
Being active is the way.
Hope it �s helpful

22 Mar 2011     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

Sophia you are very clever to use word associations. I think mnemonics can help students in a way that is fun for them. There is a funny ad on television where a guy uses mnemonics to remember people �s names. Duane (drain) the bathtub. Penny (a penny) saved is a penny earned.) You are a Dan (damn) fool. Whenever I teach the vowels, one of the kids will always sing the refrain from Old MacDonald had a Farm...EIEIO! If you can relate a word to something they know, they will remember. I always remember the past tense of the Spanish verb venir by remembering "Vino con vino." He came with wine. :)

22 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Rachel

I don �t know the age of your students, but do you know about "tools for educators " ?

I usually have my students making their own handout vocabulary, their own wordsearch, crisscros and so on. They love, because they can work in the computer.
If you don �t know them yet, and if you can work with internet, check them.
Good luck.
Linda

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/handouts/verbs.php

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/spaghettistring/

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/wordbank/

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/wordsearch/

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/crossword/

22 Mar 2011     

Zmarques
Portugal

With students with difficulties in vocabulary acquisition, or that they lack the vocabulary, I usually offer them a simple notebook and work out with them a sort of mini-dictionary. For this, I ask them to bring scissors and markers (to write a colourful alphabet) to class. The notebook should have a horizontal line marking the edge of the sheet on the right side of the paper. Then I ask them to write the letter A in the first row of the sheet and beyond the margin. Then I ask them to join two sheets and cut to below the A. On the next line, and below A, they should write B and so on, till the end of the alphabet.
The effect will be a phone book-shaped notebook with the whole alphabet visible. From here, students begin to create their own dictionary. They add new words as they appear, or you give them a list of vocabulary you think they should know.  For example, you want them to know the meaning of " scissors". Ask them to go to the letter S, and write the word there, and then its meaning in their mother tongue.
My pupils enjoy creating it and it is a real  hand-made tool that can be updated constantly. I usually tell them that we more easily memorize what we write than what we listen to.
I hope it helps!

22 Mar 2011     

srachel
Israel

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEAS!!!

GOOD-LUCK TO YOU TOO!!

24 Mar 2011