Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Need a little help.    

Need a little help.

rose95
Turkey

Need a little help.

Which verb do we use with "seesaw"? I came across with play on a seesaw and even ride a seesaw which really sounds weird to me.

And in some books I saw "I like carrot." Shouldn �t it be carrots in every circumstances.

Thanks in advance

G�l

23 Mar 2011      

maryse pey�
France

here what a seesaw is dear.

good Wednesday.

23 Mar 2011     

apayala
Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/guesswithjess/watch/seesaw/

23 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

"ride" the seesaw is correct
(you can also say play on the seesaw)

23 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

"I like carrot " is correct as it represents one sort of food as opposed to any other sort of food but you can of course say "I like "carrots" . It is perfectly correct!Big smile
 For example
- what �s that stain on your T- shirt? Is it egg? carrot? mustard? blood? Beetroot? Blueberry ? etc,.....

23 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Mariethe about "The stain is carrot", but not about "I like carrot". I have never heard "I like carrot" said, and I wouldn �t say it. I do like carrots.

Bruce

23 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Bruce I have never heard "I like carrot" eitherWink but I have heard: I had egg for breakfast" as opposed to toast , black pudding or hamBig smile that �s why i extended my example to carrot, carrots? Although I never have carrot or carrots for breakfast! Mind you carrot juice is nice! Wink Don�t want to prove right at all cost but it is interesting to see the different points of view!Smile

This is what I found :
Pechorin wrote:
Hello.
When one likes some food in general, what form, plural o singular one should (one) use? For example:
I like carrot / carrots.
I like onion / onions.
I gut feeling says that one should say "I like cabbage" (sg) and "I like strawberry", but "I like bananas"(pl) and "I like potatoes"
Is there any rule on this or the choice of form depends on a particular word which follows "I like..."?

All these nouns could be countable or uncountable.
If you talk about the sort you should use singular.
I like cabbage, strawberry, banana, potato etc.

But

I can�t eat more than three carrots of middle size at a time.

23 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ok, going to be devils advocate for one second... BUT I need to say first that when referring to liking or disliking the vegetable it �s "carrots". Now with that said...

You could say "I like carrot" if you are referring to the flavour!

i.e.

Do you like carrot cake or chocolate?
Oh, I like carrot more than chocolate.

Is that pea soup or carrot?
Pea.
Awww.. too bad, I like carrot better.

Cheers,
Linda

(Hugs Mariethe!!!)

23 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Linda, I agree about that. Also, in Mariethe �s new post, I would say "I like strawberry" when referring to the flavor (What kind of jam do you like? I like strawberry), but when talking about the fruit, it would be "I like strawberries".

Maybe "I had egg for breakfast" is a British thing, but I don �t think it �s said in the US. We would say "I had an egg" or "I had eggs". However, a messy person could be told that there is egg on the stove (or on his shirt) that he didn �t clean up. Toast, on the other hand, is uncountable. "I had toast", "I had a piece of toast" or "I had some toast", but if you said "I had a toast", people would think you were talking about saying something with a glass of wine in your hand (although that would be "I made a toast").

I think I �ve gone on too long here, so I �ll go back to baking biscuits. (No, that �s not an expression. I �m baking biscuits this morning. It �s 6:00 here).

Bruce

23 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you both Bruce and Linda! I enjoyed this discussion! Smile 

23 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Oh yummy! What kind of cookies Bruce?? And I must say that this discussion was nice. Just the facts - no bickering or strange disagreements on who says what where because somebody �s teacher said that in such a town in some lost region in the Uk, the US or South Africa, says it �s said like that! Wink ...

Cheers (as the Brits says!) to you both Smile

23 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >