Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please!    

Help me please!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Help me please!

Can you give me the comparative form of these adjective"CLEVER, NARROW, SIMPLE, QUIET, GENTLE..."
Is it right if both of "CLEVERER and MORE CLEVER " are acceptable. Thanks

23 Mar 2011      

capulinama
Argentina

Hi, there! As far as I know, the grammatically correct form is "cleverer", "quieter", "simpler" and so on. However, in the U.S.A. it is much more common to hear people saying "more clever, more quiet, more gentle, even "more common"! This doesn`t mean that they use them wrongly, it �s just a matter of usage and both forms are acceptable! You can use or teach both forms, just telling students about this difference between correctness and common usage! Hope you can use my reply! Martina.

23 Mar 2011     

capulinama
Argentina

Here �s a rule I know:

- Gradable adjectives can be used in their comparative and superlative forms, whether using a periphrasis (more, the most) or an inflection (-er, -est).

The inflection with disyllabic adjectives is used when the last syllable is unstressed (therefore: happy - happier, easy - easier), when they end with a syllabic "l" (simple - simpler) or with an "r" (clever-cleverer). 

Trisyllabic or longer adjectives take the periphrastic form unless they are negative forms of disyllabic adjectives with the prefix un- (unhappy - unhappier). 

This is all theoretical (Quirk �s about comparatives and superlatives). The practice and usage might be different, as you can see in the US and Canada they prefer the periphrastic forms. If I �m worng, please, anyone, let me konw! 

23 Mar 2011     

essam35
Egypt

I totally agree with capulinama but some words are commonly used in both forms ,as for narrow it can be used in both forms narrower or more less narrow ref. REVISION ENGLISH

23 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with Martina about usage in the US. We definitely say "more common" and "more clever" most of the time, but "more quiet" is not nearly as common as "quieter". "More gentle" is also less common than "gentler".

Bruce

23 Mar 2011