Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teacher    

Teacher

bluepeach
Portugal

Teacher

My students always call me teacher, they say "Teacher, Can you help me, please?" and I would like to know if this term is correct or if they have to call me Mrs.
Thanks a lot

24 Mar 2011      

dturner
Canada

If you are teaching in Canada or US I know the students would call you by your name. For example, Mrs. Gomez, or Miss Gomez.  Other places, like in Britain, they may say, "Miss", and in Asia, they might simply call you Sensei,  which is the name teachers are called.    

24 Mar 2011     

sldiaz
Panama

My students call me by my name (Ms D�az) but here in Panama students usually call you "Teacher"

24 Mar 2011     

Cyn.
Argentina

It �s great to read this thread...

I have been teaching at an institute for some years now and when I started it called my attention that students called me "teacher". My previous students at school called me "miss" or just "Cynthia" never "teacher"... I wonder if it is alright...

I get the impression it is not... I tell my students that I don �t call them "students" and therefore they shouldn �t call me "teacher".... (?)

Well, I guess this is a good question for all the native speakers in the site...

Thanks in advance!

Cyn

24 Mar 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Class teachers are called by name here - never Teacher.
Mr Smith, Mrs Smith, Miss Smith or Ms Smith.
In a more casual, one on one setting or with adult students the teacher �s first name is often used.

24 Mar 2011     

el_teacher
Indonesia

mmm... well, being from the US, I have never called a teacher, "teacher."  as stated above, we always use Mr. plus the surname.   (in some rare cases a student could just use a first name)

however, in Indonesia and Thailand, where I was before, it was Mr. plus first name- that �s because in their native languages, this a correct way to address someone.

now that i �m in Mexico, I get the "teacher" a lot... it �s simply because calling your teacher in Spanish would be "maestro"-  Mexicans use a lot of titles- it �s very much a part of their culture... and there is a great deal of respect for teachers here, so I love being called "teacher"!!!!  My advice... just teach students that normally in an English speaking country this is not the correct way, but don �t make a fuss out of it if they do call you teacher...    hope this helps!!!!

24 Mar 2011     

carotte
France

In France, both "teacher" and "Miss" or "Sir" are used for English teachers but students never call us by our names "Mrs Smith". They are used to a certain distance and are we!
The better, I think, is to let them do as they feel... And it will be alright!

24 Mar 2011     

magneto
Greece

My students usually call me "Miss." Some of them, though, (usually the boys) do tend to call male teachers "Δάσκαλε" (/ˈdaskale/  - i.e. "Teacher")...It �s a way of showing they feel their teacher close to them...Anyway, the word in Greek (especially in  towns or villages) has many different connotations, which I �m not sure I can explain in English, so that �s rather different...
The point is, the "officially" acceptable terms are "Miss" or "Sir" or "Miss/Mrs/Mr X", but "Teacher" is also generally accepted.

24 Mar 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Well, I get it that you wanted to know how a teacher is addressed by the ss in the English-speaking countries and you have already got plenty of answers from the native speakers. But if you care for a cultural "exchange" of the ways a teacher is called, here are my five cents: ss in Ukraine call teachers by their first name and patronymic name, my ss call me Sophia Viktorivna (meaning Victor �s)
Cheers,
SophiaSmile 

24 Mar 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

It is quite common in Thailand for students to call their (English) teacher �teacher �.

24 Mar 2011     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

In Korea, generally, elementary students call their (English) teacher �Teacher � or �(first name) Teacher �
In Korean, they call the teacher �songsaengniem � (선생님) meaning �teacher �

24 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >