Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Where should I start?    

Where should I start?

miesies muis
Namibia

Where should I start?

Dear friends

We need to do "learning Support" with learners who struggle with English. We are supposed to implement it in our daily lessons or we can have afternoon classes.  I decided that I will take my kids one day in the afternoon and help them.

The problem is not doing the "support" but rather, WHERE DO I START?

They are all Gr2 and most of them struggle with reading and Phonics.  I am thinking of starting with the basic phonetics sounds that they are supposed to know and learned in Grade 1 and also take 10 high frequency words each week and practice it with them.

I feel lost!!!!  

Am I on the right track?  Do you maybe have some suggestions or a web-site that I can read through?

Lots of Love

Elanie

24 Mar 2011      

maryse pey�
France

If I were you I �d try to find CDs or cassettes with very simple dialogues. Then I �d make my students close their eyes to concentrate their thought on hearing. Once a dialogue heard I �d ask what they have recognized.

Then 2nd hearing of the same text, always closing eyes. 2nd recognition. And finally the hearing with the text under the eyes and reading. Then you can start simple exercises about the place of the verb and so on...

I know that it greatly works with my young students.

hope this could help.

24 Mar 2011     

valentyna
Ukraine

Hello! If I were you I �d start with thematical words which are interestins for kids,make flash cards with the words we are going to learn, we �ll repeat the words all together and then we �ll make short sentences with the new words. And after that you canintroduce the sounds met in the words for children could read them properly. It works with my second graders.Good luck.Handshake

24 Mar 2011     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I read about this interesting method recently: http://www.montessoriworld.org/Reading/spaprltr/sprintro.html
have a look! :)

24 Mar 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Thanks, foreverjinxed for an interesting sandpaper method aimed at helping the child associate the sounds of speech with their written symbols, as a necessary preparation for writing and reading ;)

25 Mar 2011     

carme sammut
Malta

As a complementary teacher,  I always start with easing their way out by giving them activities which they are able to do.  For instance giving them funny rhyming verses to say back example: Tom the cat
hid in a hat.

Then I tell them a story and ask them questions orally.

I elicit the words from the story and sound them for them to say.

From then I work on initial and ending sounds, blends.

Then I start the writing stuff, by matching word to word, word to picture, filling in, etc.

good luck.

25 Mar 2011     

essam35
Egypt

i would start with giving them songs about seasons, numbers, family members  and months and teach them to perform these songs using aerobics that helps them so much as it makes the language related to other skills

25 Mar 2011