Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching vocabulary    

Teaching vocabulary

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Teaching vocabulary

Hello everyone,
I �m supposed to make a 45 minute workshop / presentation on teaching vocabulary. I have never done this before. Have any of you ever done this before? Or have you been to an interesting workshop that you can tell me about.
Any idea is welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Alisa

25 Mar 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

What is the age group that is going to be taught vocabulary? Beginners? Intermediate? Adults?  Do you have a specific vocabulary topic?

25 Mar 2011     

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

I forgot to say that it is going to be teacher training on teaching vocabulary. The students are at elementary level. Teaching vocabulary in general is the topic. I need ideas, materials (if possible)

25 Mar 2011     

epit
Turkey

Alisa ,Manonski is asking your students age level and Which topic you have to teach .You must say all of them .For example :My pupils are elementary .I will have to teach themtv programmes . Like that .Hugs Epit

25 Mar 2011     

apedral
Brazil

see your pm box

Angela

25 Mar 2011     

essam35
Egypt

hi i  you may use some games like making lists of vocab for one topic (animals, school.....)you can also use some long words to let Ss point out some other vocab of the same spelling for example you can use the word restaurants to ask Ss to form other words out of the spelling like start ,turn, run and so on thses types help Ss to exchange some vocab and recall other vocab they already have you can also use word maps and many other games

wish it helps

25 Mar 2011     

epit
Turkey

Hi ,I need a  40 minutes vocabulay lesson .Could you send me ?I prefer elemantary level but  it doesn �t matter .I can adapt it for  my pupils .Thanks . Hugs

25 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

You can use songs to teach vocabulary.
for example, "Head and Shoulders" teachers parts of the body; "Old McDonalds" farm animals.

For school colors, you can use "I spy"

School objects: Ask students to label the objects they can see in the classroom.

Neighborhood: use a pictures from google map (satellite view or street view).

Clothes and seasons: Paper dolls, ask students to parade around in the classroom with clothes.

Prepositions: Do a treasure hunt in the classroom or school if you can and hide objects everywhere

Games are a good way of teaching vocabulary!

25 Mar 2011     

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I will probably use some in creating my lesson.

Alisa

25 Mar 2011