Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation pleaseeeeeeee    

translation pleaseeeeeeee

harelyta
Peru

translation pleaseeeeeeee

Hello my friends:

Please give a hand with this:

How do you say??

Vivimos la  democracia en nuestro pais

Please, which is the best phrase for that expression???

thank a lot and have a nice weekend

Harelyta

26 Mar 2011      

melahel7
Canada

We have democracy in our country.

26 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

or
We live in a democracy in our country.

It depends on how important the word "vivimos" is in the original sentence. Melahel7 �s translation sounds better in English (because it doesn �t have the word "in" twice).

Bruce

26 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi  Harelyta

I �m not sure if your word
Vivimos is a simple present or a simple past in your native language. It sounds to me as a simple present, so I would translate it as

" We are living democracy in our country "

Our ( latin ) Simple present is a kind of mix between Anglo saxonic simple present and present continuous.

If you LIVE in a democracy, that has turned out to be a routine.
If you are ARE LIVING that means it is a new thing you are enjoying now, not  a traditional,usual action.

Checking your flag, Peru, I am to bet that, unfortunately, most of Latin American countries don �t live in democracy, but, hopefully, they can be living in a democracy.

Please, be sure sure my words are not but a simple grammar exercise. I �m not poiting fingers, just giving a fair, flat  explanation of what I feel would be a better translation, without having any idea of the whole context.

Have a nice day

Linda

26 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

We live in democracy in our country...

26 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Mar

Please, don �t get me wrong.
I wanted to spot the difference between what is a country with democratic traditions from a country that has a few / some years of a democratic governement

I have already been to Mexico, lovely country, nature gave you tons of wonderful things to watch and enjoy.

Sorry, excuse me, I don �t want to hurt you, nor anyone of my dear friens in Mexico.

But, sometimes, we live.where we live. We get used to what is usual. We don �t have much time to think further.
We get to think that things are ok.

In my humble opinion, a democracy is a place and time , where we all have, as far as possible, the same opportunities and, AND, if we are less able, we would be given extra opportunities, so that we can go as far as the others go, so that we can feel happy and so that we cant be an extra weight for the others.

I have been in Mexico,  I travelled fromeastesn coast, Playa del carmen up to the Pacific Coast, I have been in Merida and went on driving to see the Pacific.

Your country has been sold to economicist interests - Mexican people can �t swim in their own waters. All the coast is closed by huge resorts, tourist can bath in in most wonderful waters, swim in those blessed seas - common, / poor Mexican will have to pay a stay in a resort if they want to watch the sea. I drove miles and miles on end, without but a wall of ressorts or jungle.

For me, that is not democracy.

Believe me, I am not telling I live in a democracy, no, I live in a country of corrupted politicians , but, I take to my own care, everyday, to remember myself, I am not living in a country that takes care of its own citizens.

So, I can say,

here, in Portugal, we live in a democracy.

It has been settled in 1974,

but, I know, this is not a democratic country, so I can say

We are not living in a democratic country.

Tears for my country

Linda

26 Mar 2011     

andreaewa
Uruguay

We live the democracy in our country.

26 Mar 2011     

harelyta
Peru

Thanks a lot

that is the tittle of a new unit at school

that �s why we have to choose our new president in April. So we �re working on that to make our lesson plans. And of course here in peru we don �t have "DEMOCRACY"

But I think we are living democracy in our country .....is ok

regards from Peru

Harelyta

26 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank  you Harelyta for your wonderful words in your PM, I appreciate it very much! I will always be here for you!

Dear Linda, I think you jumped to conclusions. I was not stating my country lives in a democracy, I was giving my suggestion for the translation that was requested.

If my country, or any other country lives or does not live in democracy is something I will not discuss in the forum, because I think that topic calls for individualized opinions, and I feel that this site is a space for teachers from ALL OVER THE WORLD to get together, to share and to FORGET about political issues, wars, discrimination, etc.

Here we can all be friends, regardless of our religion, the color of our skin, political issues, etc. Here, I feel so close to all the wonderful people I have met in this site, that I will forever be grateful to ESLP for giving me the opportunity to be part of this great site!

Hugs to all!!

Mar

27 Mar 2011