Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say.....    

How do you say.....

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

How do you say.....

Hi there,

What �s the name of the street containers we throw away recyclable paper / glass / cardboard / batteries /plastic? I thought the general word was "bank" since once I read the expression "bottle bank", but after looking it up in the dictionary, I have realized I am wrong. Is the word "bank" just used for bottles? And what about the rest?

Thanks in advance and enjoy Sunday evening!

27 Mar 2011      

roneydirt
United States

Never heard it with bank...  I always used recycle bin.

27 Mar 2011     

coyote.chus
Spain

I think "recycling bins" is British English 

27 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

"Recycling bins" is also used in the US. I haven �t heard of a bank in this sense, either, but I think it would be the place the bottles are taken to be recycled or to be stored before being taken to a recycling plant.

Bruce

27 Mar 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Glass collection points, known as Bottle Banks are very common near ... �- Wikipedia

Noun � �1. � �bottle bank - a place where bottles can be deposited for recycling - the Free dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bottle+bank)

Google picture search: bottle bank

Oxford dictionaries: British: a place where used glass bottles may be deposited for recycling

And I �m sure I could find more. This forum is far overused in cases where Google and dictionaries can help better. No offense, dear colleagues.

27 Mar 2011     

LABTARNI
Morocco

hi;
 i wonder if any one has an idea about cometency based approach.
thanks in advance

27 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I remember many years ago, in Scotland, local authorities introduced colour-coded bottle banks: green for green glass, brown for brown glass and white for clear. There was usually a newspaper recycling bin beside them, and then, gradually, they introduced clothes recycling bins, followed by organic, plastic ...

Oh, and �skips � are still used for assorted rubble and unwanted/broken furniture etc.

27 Mar 2011