Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Bored Students??    

Bored Students??

Pinky Makus
Canada

Bored Students??

There have been a few messages lately about bored students.  I was just wondering if you have tried:

- changing the layout of your classroom
- moving your desk
- changing your daily schedule
- tried teaching one lesson in a different room
- taught a lesson with everyone sitting instead of standing or vice/versa
- teaching with special song 
- getting the students to write a special chant to bring up thier energy at the start of each class (work in pairs or alone and the class votes and the best one)

You can also use a funny or exciting way to tell the students what they will be learning about.  You could take Post-It notes or use paper and tape to stick notes under every student�s desk.  You can write the new topic on just one piece of paper, the rest can be blank.  At the start of class tell everyone to look under their desk and pull out the piece of paper they find.  The student that finds the new topic can get a prize like a homework pass or some other small gift.  You could also use a video or a fellow teacher to "deliver" the new topic and worksheets in a briefcase or a special box to your classroom.  Inside there could be a special message like the one�s in the Mission Impossible movies (ie This is your English assignment if you choose to accept it).  If you have a webcamera you can make a video and post it on You Tube.  Then tell your students that they were sent a special message.  Then have one student use the school computer to log on to You Tube to retrieve the message.

I hope you can find a way to add some excitement to your class, without spending much money.

These are just a few ideas I had.

13 Dec 2008      

emila
Turkey

Hello Pinky Makus,
What a great idea!I love the idea.I�ll try to do.Bored students can move a little I think.Thanks for sharing  your idea.I �m sure your other ideas must be great as this one:) Tongue

13 Dec 2008     

meuge
Argentina

Thank you Pinky Makus!
These are fantastic ideas! I will try them next year...as in Argentina there is one week to go for Summer holidays!!

Hugs Hug

13 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Wow, what nice tips!! Thanks!!

13 Dec 2008