Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Computer Classes for future Teachers    

Computer Classes for future Teachers

moravc
Czech Republic

Computer Classes for future Teachers

I was asked to help with planning IT classes for teachers-to-be (aged 20-30). I have gathered quite a number of ideas and suggestions, so maybe it will be useful for you too...
Can you suggest more ideas???

1. First class - teacher will show various wss from Eslprintables and students will discuss the methods of making such wss. The aim of the course is to learn many tips and tricks how to make a fancy wss/ppt.
The assignment is a file full of worksheets (1 worksheet per each lesson at least)

2. Tasks for students:

Word: flashcards, Bingo, pictionary, poster, bookmark, boardgame, minibook, wordsearch, crossword, spiral text, text on shape, role play, conversation cards, wordmap - mindmap, worksheet consisting of several exs on 1 page, quiz, riddles,
write a short story with a given grammar topic + exs (cojunctions, past simple+perfect, comparatives...), AutoShapes pictures (robot from shapes...), grouping pictures, change colour pics to BW outlined pics (no gray), 
PPT: simple presentation with pics and effects (several sentences appear after a click)
ppt interactive games + find free ppt templates
XLS: export/import vocabulary lists, sum, %, +-*/
"Teacher tool" sofware programs: create games with the help of the free software + find free sw...
Grammar topics we should cover; students should know this vocabulary: ...

Software to work with: Word, Excell, Powerpoint, Eclipse Crossword, Audacity (record voice, mix), Half-Baked Potatoes, Teacher �s Pet, Task Magic, ...
Websites: Scanning+Ocr software/websites
http://www.newocr.com/, Wordle website, Wordsearch websites, Text shapes, Wordscramble, Cloze test, Maze, Bingo websites, Text-to-speech loquendo.com + Acapela, http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26804,
Each student will choose one free "software for teachers" and give a short presentation

USEFUL TIPS AND TRICKS:
Find and replace text in Word
- change tab for ";" or replace "/" for a tab (useful while exporting lists of vocabulary to excell table or crossword maker or vocabulary quizzer)

IT Literature:
, Short questionnaire for the students:

Create various kinds of exercies:
matching ex, fill in gaps ex, jumbled vocabulary ex, word-order ex, odd one out ex, logic ex ( 1-2-_-4) - what �s missing, rephrasing ex, vocabulary mindmap, story - madlibs, wordcloud + matching, coded message, wordorder, multiplechoice, removed vowels, 
Useful worksheets on computers on Eslprintables: ...

Anything more? What did YOU need to learn to be able to make nice worksheets? Which tricks?

2 Apr 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

Computer Classes for future Teachers - IT course

I was asked to help with planning IT classes for teachers-to-be (aged 20-30). I have gathered quite a number of ideas and suggestions, so maybe it will be useful for you too...
Can you suggest more ideas???

1. First class - teacher will show various wss from Eslprintables and students will discuss the methods of making such wss. The aim of the course is to learn many tips and tricks how to make a fancy wss/ppt.
The assignment is a file full of worksheets (1 worksheet per each lesson at least)

2. Tasks for students:
Word:
flashcards, Bingo, pictionary, poster, bookmark, BANDOLO/BANDOLINO, boardgame, minibook, wordsearch, crossword, spiral text, text on shape, role play, conversation cards, wordmap - mindmap, worksheet consisting of several exs on 1 page,
write a short story with a given grammar topic + exs (cojunctions, past simple+perfect, comparatives...),
AutoShapes pictures (robot from shapes...), grouping pictures, change colour pics to BW outlined pics (no gray), 

PPT:
simple presentation with pics and effects (several sentences appear after a click)
ppt interactive games + find free ppt templates

XLS: export/import vocabulary lists, sum, %, +-*/

"Teacher tool" sofware programs:
create games with the help of the free software + find free sw...

Grammar topics students should cover:
Pronouns, Nouns, Adjectives, Adverbs, Time Adverbs, Conjunctions, Contractions, Prepositions, Auxiliary verbs - do dont did didnt will won �t, Comparatives + Superlatives, Conditionals, Countables, Non-countables - Much/many, Quantity - containers, For/since, Frequency adverbs + wordorder, Gerunds and Infinitives, Irregular verbs, Modals - Must/have to, should, could/can, might, ought to, able to, allowed to, Nouns + verbs - wordformation, Passive voice, Phonetics, Homonyms, Homophones, Phrasal verbs, Plurals - ir/regular, Possessives, Various �s = has, is, was, Tom �s, Affirmative, Negative and Interrogative sentences, Relative clauses, Reported Speech, Some/any, 3rd singular - subject and verb, Tag questions, Used to, Verb tenses - present simple+cont, past simple+cont, present perfect+past simple, will+going to, Word order.

Students should know this vocabulary:
parts of the computer, verbs used in IT (commands "save-don �t close")
short history of comps (+comparatives)
future of technology - (+ future tense - possibility, might...
)

Software to work with: Word, Excell, Powerpoint, Eclipse Crossword, Audacity (record voice, mix), Hot Potatoes, Teacher �s Pet, Task Magic, Quandary -action maze, ...
Delicious account for storing bookmarks, Anticheating software http://www.h2e.co.il/info-for-teachers,

Websites: Scanning+Ocr software/websites
http://www.newocr.com/, Wordle website, Wordsearch websites, Text shapes, Wordscramble, Cloze test, Maze, Bingo websites, Text-to-speech loquendo.com + Acapela,
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26804,

Each student will choose one free "software for teachers" and give a short presentation on advantages or disadvantages of this software (eg Eclipse Crossword imports txt lists of vocabulary. The crossoword grids are editable...)

USEFUL TIPS AND TRICKS:
Find and replace text in Word
- change tab for ";" or replace "/" for a tab (useful while exporting lists of vocabulary to excell table or crossword maker or vocabulary quizzer)

IT Literature:

English for IT,
Check Your English Vocabulary for Computers and IT,
Information Technology Workshop

Short questionnaire for the students:
How many years have you been using a comp?
Which software have you been using?
How do you spend most of your time on computer (games, internet, writing, drawing...)?
What problems with a comp have you solved?
Have you made any worksheets or ppts for your pupils?
Have you made an interactive website page with tests for your pupils?
Have you ever used any teacher sofware for making OFFLINE games
What is your weak point in IT?
What would you like to learn in this course?

What makes the worksheet attractive - pics, puzzles, funny, short texts, simple/challenging, short/long exercises, readable fancy font, layout, jokes..... ?

Create various kinds of exercies:
matching ex, fill in gaps ex, jumbled vocabulary ex, word-order ex, odd one out ex, logic ex ( 1-2-_-4) - what �s missing, rephrasing ex, vocabulary mindmap, story - madlibs, wordcloud + matching, coded message, wordorder, multiplechoice, removed vowels, quiz, riddles, logic puzzles, 

Useful worksheets on computers:
COMPUTERS! - fun vocabulary set
2-PAGE DISCUSSION: COMPUTERS - ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
Computers-Quiz
Computer parts
Computers and peripherals
Computers and peripherals - Pictionary
Parts of a computer + Vocabulary
THE COMPUTER WORLD - PICTIONARY
THE COMPUTER WORLD WORDSEARCH
Computers
Differences between the Internet and the library
Are You a Mouse Potato?
Computer Verbs

School in the future

Anything more? WHAT DID YOU have to learn to be able to make nice worksheets?

2 Apr 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

The full MESSAGE is in the second post.

2 Apr 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Wow Moravc - this is a most comprehensive list.

There are some other IT ideas here.

I �d also like to recommend a Delicious account for storing bookmarks.  I learned about this from Zailda here and it is a fabulous tool.

2 Apr 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

ANTI  cheating program

It is very useful when you  have a lot of students in a small clasroom.

ellakass  told me about it and it is great!

http://www.h2e.co.il/info-for-teachers

This is a program which "mixes" your test as many times as you want and gives you all the answers too.

I think it is a useful tool.

Congrats for your classes!

They are relly interesting.

Have a nice day,
Sabrina

2 Apr 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Thanks a lot for the tips! I have updated the second message...
If anybody can come up with more tricks s/he uses in Word, I will be really happy!
Do you use any macros in Word?

2 Apr 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Moravc. Are you going to do a seminar on IT? I wish I could attend it! You seem to be so up to the point with it! Smile

2 Apr 2011     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Dear Jana!

You are my hero!!

I �m off to work now but I �ll write a message later on...

Hugs!

7 Apr 2011