Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Film to assess    

Film to assess

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Film to assess

Hi there,

I �m writing because I would like to hear your opinion or maybe to get your advice.
I organised a trip  to London in November and all students had assignments (travel journals) except three. They asked me if they could make a film and I agreed.

The film is on You Tube 

Trip to London 2010 Part 1

Trip to London 2010 Part 2

I didn �t give them any instructions what they should film, so they decided to make a film showing all the landmarks we saw so it was a kind of a travel journal in a form of a film. Now they want me to assess the film and to give them a mark. I have no criteria and I don �t really know what to assess. Do you have any ideas what I can do?

I think they deserve a mark for their work, yet I �m afraid of the criticism of everybody else who wrote travel journals because they had " to play according to the rules".

I would be happy to hear your opinion.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

3 Apr 2011      

PhilipR
Thailand

Please post links if you want feedback.

3 Apr 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I believe she is talking about this video (because the description is in Slovenian)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8VFEKUp_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzKupM8kA_s

Zvonka, can you make the fonts in your post a bit smaller, please?

Your students speak very well, their pronounciation is easy to follow.
I would advice to speak STRAIGHT to the camera (not to the right etc...) and sometimes they should speak more clearly or slowly.
And it is better to speak where there is low level of noise (background noise)...

3 Apr 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I wish some day my ss were lucky to visit London. I bet it was an incredible experience for your ss. They are quite fluent (great job!) and the videos are quite good too. The only thing I �d recommend for future projects would be consulting some professional camera man on how to hold the camera to make the video less wobbly. Though sometimes it feels like smth intentional to make it clear the video was made by young people.Smile
I myself have never been anywhere abroad. It was probably enjoyable for you as well.
Thanks for sharing this experience with us.
As to the assessment, you would probably be better off if you consulted your colleague who had done video projects before. Here are some ideas you could include:
Subdivide into categories like film making, language art, team work (make it 100%) and expand them:
film making- directing, choice of music, camera work (shooting itself), effects
language art- fluency, pronunciation (intonation patterns, blah, blah), humor, vocabulary (how rich, appropriate, blah, blah, it is), body language... etc. (I�m sure you could add some more)
team work- number of appearances, input (the duration of spoken presentations), blah, blah
you could also include some peer-assessment from other ss from your group, some kind of a rating scale for charm or smth.
Sophia

3 Apr 2011     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Philip,

Moravc is right, those are the links. I now have the film as a whole and is no longer divided into 2 parts. Students had some probles uploading it (because of the music) that was why they had to upload it in two parts. However, it hasn �t been published yet. Anyway, I would really appreciate your feedback since I have no experience whatsoever with assesing the films.

Thank you!

Regards from
Zvonka

4 Apr 2011