Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Hilarious song to teach furniture!!    

Hilarious song to teach furniture!!

MarionG
Netherlands

Hilarious song to teach furniture!!

You also wondered how on earth to make teaching furniture more interesting??
I came accross this gem on youtube: I ´ve got a ceiling a parody on the very popular song "I got a feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas... It has lots of furniture vocabulary!!!

4 Apr 2011      

Stellam
Argentina

LOL It ´s great! Thank you, Marion!

4 Apr 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Funny?- True! I did like it apart from "scr... it" I ´m not sure I would feel comfortable explaining its meaning to my ss and they ´ve probably heard it multiple times in movies.Confused
Sophia

4 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

@ueslteacher...Sorry but before ´screw ´ became slang for something you might not feel comfortable with...it was - and still is - a very innocent word for this:
and ´to screw ´ simply means to fasten one of these with a rotating motion.
Hence the expression, ´to screw in a lightbulb ´ since in order to put a lightbulb into place you need the same rotating motion ..... when he sings ´I screw it ´ he is referring to the lightbulb he is replacing!!!

4 Apr 2011     

mariaherguedas
Spain

I think it ´s just great!!! so funny!

4 Apr 2011     

Stellam
Argentina

Dear Sophia,

Please, don ´t overdo it, if your students are mature enough to grasp the ambiguity of the term, surely they won ´t need any embarrassing explanation from you.

Anyway, I agree with Marion that the only interpretation of the word in this particular context is ´to attach or tighten by means of a screw ´

Stella

4 Apr 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I ´m not. And in the parodies they do intend for dubiousness. Don ´t you think? I was just expressing my opinion. I meant my 7th graders (mature? no way) and whenever I explain words that at least slightly remind them of indecent content or they mishear smth, they giggle and repeat it over and over again. Does it help them remember? - Sure. Do I feel comfortable? - No, I don ´t. So that ´s it.
Sophia

4 Apr 2011     

Apodo
Australia

English is full of words which have double meanings. This sort of thing happens in classes of native English speakers all the time. There is no way you could possibly avoid words that make 7th graders giggle and smirk.  If your students know this word let them giggle. Ignore them and they ´ll get over it.

I watched this clip and it doesn ´t seem overly suggestive to me. If it was intended to be really suggestive it would be much worse!

5 Apr 2011     

mariec
Spain

loved it,thanks a million, I am going to use it in class tomorrow.

5 Apr 2011     

Ritanilo
Brazil

Thanks!!!! I loved it!!! My students will have lots of fun.
Rita

5 Apr 2011     

Sara26
Brazil

LOL !! Thanks for sharing !

5 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >