Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Maths help please?    

Maths help please?

penn28
Thailand

Maths help please?

Dear Friends, I am an English teacher, but I have been given the task of teaching division to my 5 year olds (they are not learning!) any ideas?

Many thanks 

Penny

6 Apr 2011      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

The concept of division is very difficult for them now. From my point of view they are too young to learn it unless you give them the typical examples of "I �ve got four cakes for two people, how many can each of them have?" and so on.
Hope it helps
Yolanda

6 Apr 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I �m not surprised that they aren �t learning. Division is a difficult concept, especially at that young age.

I would use the idea of sharing. Use counters or buttons and get one child to share them out between other children.

4 sweets, 4 children - If they share everyone gets 1 each
4 sweets, 2 children - 2 each
6 sweets etc

Use pictures to cut out and share into a pictures of containers. (best if you don�t have remainders) Children have to put the same number of items into each container. 
eg: a page of fish (9) with 3 bowls.
eggs / baskets,   
apples / bowls
Good luck!

EDIT: This is in today�s worksheets:

6 Apr 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Division in most schools is taught after addition, subtraction and multiplication.
That is usually around 4th-5th grade.  5 year olds, in most schools are in  kindergarten.

That is a sure-fire way to turn kids off math at an early age!  They haven �t got the tools for understanding such abstract concepts yet.

The person who has given you this task hasn�t studied their Piaget and the concept of assimilation and learning.
Children learn in "building blocks". To understand one concept you have to have something to build upon.
There is no jumping ahead here. I have no idea how you can do this!

6 Apr 2011     

Errie
Japan

I agree with Libertybelle here. Well said.
When I read your question I was thinking who it was giving you a task like that. They �ll not understand it yet period.

6 Apr 2011