Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with countables/ uncountables    

help with countables/ uncountables

WestHampstead
Spain

help with countables/ uncountables

Hello
I explained the difference between countable and uncountable nouns to my students but they still find it difficult to distinguish them as it is different in their languages which are Catalan and Spanish. Could you help me with that please? how do you explain it?
THANKS!

6 Apr 2011      

Zora
Canada

That �s strange... I �ve never had a problem with explaining this. Uncountable and countable nouns are almost the same in one language as the other. I think that as a "native" Spanish speaker you neglect to see that "Natives are lazy in their way of using language"...

ALL liquids... coffee, soup, water, oil, juice, etc.. are uncountable - in English and Spanish. The idea of going into a bar and asking for "Dos cafes" (two coffees) or "Dos aguas" (two waters) is a typical "laziness" in a language. You are asking for a bottle of water and a cup of coffee since the waiter can �t bring you these liquids in any other way.

Meat, cheese, grains, coffee, sugar, rice, fruit (in general, not specific) is bought by weight, therefore it is uncountable... same as in Spanish.

Then... you have things that go both ways like chicken which can be bought whole or by weight, cheese could also fall into this category as well as "glass" which could be the object or the material.

6 Apr 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda

Thanks for the lessonHug

So, you consider asking

" Two coffees, please " is not correct, is it ?

Better is " Two cups of coffee "    ( ? is it ? )

Sounds so miserable and, at the same time , so strutting, so old fashion, when compared to our language.  LOL

Waiting for your answer, checking if I got it. I have been telling my kids that coffee, real and good and strong one always has to get double   FF  and double EE and though uncountable, in general, tht one can ask 2 coffees, NOW, SHAME ON ME, what am I going to say in the future.

" Children, be very polite, don �t ask 2 coffees, ask 2 cups of that thing "  LOL

EsL teachers , sometimes, and only some of them, are a real disaster

Big hugs

The other one  

( can I say this , in English ? - in Portuguese , the other one is always the one that is not married, but gets someone �s husband , for FREEEEEEEEEE )

LInda

7 Apr 2011     

Apodo
Australia

At home or in a cafe we say:
I �ll have a beer
I �ll have an orange juice etc.
Two coffees, please.
Because it is understood we mean a cup/glass

But if I go to the supermarket
I �ll buy some orange juice, a carton/bottle of orange juice.

Hmmm.... I haven �t heard a saying to match this:
( can I say this , in English ? - in Portuguese , the other one is always the one that is not married, but gets someone �s husband , for FREEEEEEEEEE )

We say the other woman, his bit on the side, meaning the one who is not his wife.

7 Apr 2011     

WestHampstead
Spain

Thanks for your answers

8 Apr 2011