Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why Do You Want To Become A Teacher?    

Why Do You Want To Become A Teacher?

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

Why Do You Want To Become A Teacher?

Hello dear members,

I would like to know 

Why Do You Want To Become A Teacher? or why are you teachers?

I was asked this question and I would like to know about you!

Hug

7 Apr 2011      

MapleLeaf
Canada

It �s fun. It �s rewarding ( sts progress). It �s giving. It �s helping. It �s a hard work! It �s creating! It �s observing. It �s discovering. It �s learning ( sts and teachers too)!!!  It �s always moving!  

Hug 

7 Apr 2011     

rommaya
Egypt

It is building the minds of the future leaders...So you are technically shaping the future. I used to think that all what I do is in vain, but after the Egyptian revolution I believe that every word I teach is absorbed. It will only be a while till I can see the result.

Thumbs Up

7 Apr 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

I agree with MapleLeaf on the whys.

Now here are my 11 reasons for not wanting to become a teacher in an American school:

1.        everyone blames teachers if students fail even if a teacher has 90% of their students succeeding, they get chastised for the 10% regardless of demographics and individual circumstances (i.e. parents abuse drugs and are absent in child �s life just for example)

2.        Mentally challenged students being required to take the same standardized tests as the rest of the student body and the score being calculated with the same weight, thus hurting the school�s overall average!  This one makes NO sense to me whatsoever, as if you could combat nature itself as a teacher??

3.        ESL students who�ve only been in an English speaking country for 2 years being required to take the same standardized tests as the rest of the student body and the score being calculated with the same weight, thus hurting the school�s overall average.  Interestingly, we were near a refugee center and had a high ESL population.  Some of our students who were being placed in high school because of their age had never received any formal education nor new English. So not only were we battling language issues we were battling educational deficiencies that spanned ten or more years?  Do government officials really believe teachers are miracle workers? Can we make up for ten years of no formal education as well as help a student master the entire English language in just two years?  Of course not!!!  It�s an absurd expectation and goes against research!

4.        people claim teachers teach because they couldn �t do anything else---

such statements make you want to leave the profession to prove otherwise. 

5.        parents who think complaining entitles them to have their children�s scores raised as well as extensions for assignments that are well overdue.

6.        certain students claiming your racist despite the fact students of the same race succeed in your classroom--- perhaps, you should study more and quit blaming others for your own failures

7.        students who are good at athletics getting pushed through the system

8.        students being disrespectful and wearing outfits unbecoming of a young lady or young man- - our school had a policy of not wearing baggy clothes or too short of skirts, and despite this most students continued to wear such clothing.  Teachers were afraid to call them out on it because of two things: no consequences for those students and secondly, because those students would become hostile towards teachers who complained.

9.        student violence in the classroom towards one another and teachers-- and once again teachers being blamed for it via questions such as "How could you have defused the situation?"--- Hm. I don �t know he has on an ankle bracelet and he �s involved with gangs. I don �t know what I could have done to have kept him from charging me.  Perhaps I could have taken him to the floor as did the little petite blond teacher in the 1995 Dangerous Minds. Then they could respect me and see that I care about them once I proved I was the alpha female of the classroom??

10.    known gang members allowed to continue being in school because they supposedly deserve an education despite the fact they make a hostile learning environment for students who actually care about their future

11.  watering down of curriculum so that more students can be successful:

a friend of mine told me that the books her honor classes were reading in high school were the same ones read in mainstream middle school in the 80s. 

I am not trying to sound like a negative person, but I think these educational issues, although not problems in all American schools or districts (primarily again due to demographics) need to come to light and not be ignored if they are to ever change.  Since coming to Japan, I have not encountered even one of the same problems I faced in American schools (one of my 19 year old students threatened me and then the following week ended up in jail for attempted murder and armed robbery)!  This is most likely due to cultural and family values instead of the teachers or schools themselves, but it sure is a breath of fresh air.

7 Apr 2011     

Errie
Japan

@Christybrigdeman

Point 5 is a very very common thing here in Japan. They are so called � �monsterparents � � which every country has I think. They should call them monster mothers because in 90% of the cases it �s the mother who complains about the teacher. In Japan it �s always the teachers fault and the students are getting away with it. Worse thing is that they know this.

I became a teacher for the same reasons Mapleleaf had already pointed out.

7 Apr 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

@Errie,

Sorry to hear that point 5 is common!  I personally don �t have to deal with it, but then again I don �t understand the complaints! ;) 

7 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

my main reason ? Sharing knowledge makes several minds richer and brighter, that is to say sharing success is the better source to keep one �s mind young and dynamic !

7 Apr 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Because a long time ago I said I �d never be a teacher and jinxed myself!!! Just kidding - or maybe notWink... I don �t have a proper reason - it �s just that I feel myself when I do it! I feel it was something I was meant to do.

7 Apr 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Being a teacher has been my dream career since childhood. Why? Because no matter the problems we have to go through, the problems themselves are real challenges, because of the interaction with young people, the smile in their faces when they managed to understand sth that had been a puzzle until then, the personal fulfilment and achievement when the school year is over and the excitment when a new one starts! This doesn �t convey everything I feel, of course!
Have a look at this, may be it may also be useful to you:
Teresa

7 Apr 2011     

izulia
China

I agree with MapleLeaf but...
I �ve always LOVED teaching because it gave me an opportunity to be creative. I liked that something funny was happenning in class almost every day (I teach young students). My students and their parents are nice to deal with. I don �t really have much to complain about, but somehow recently I have been incredibly BORED with teaching, although I still try to be professional and deliver proper lessons. I �ve been teaching for 10 years now... I hope it �s a temporary feeling...

7 Apr 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Been helping younger individuals with their learning for years before I got my teaching degree.  I was even teaching as a child.  I enjoy it, helping others.  I also did this in other areas.  Some call it a calling, a spiritual enlightment and other things.  We may have entered a field that is commonly abused because of pretext of myths that still are very alive today.  I have done several jobs over the years.  It is the most exhausting field and the most mentally rewarding looking into a child �s face as they "finally" get it and understand.  Granted at times I wish that looked added cash into my pocket, but it is worth more than money.  In 1990 I worked for several months in a nursing home and there were a number of teachers there because the pension could not afford them much but even in a place like that their memories of their former students waved proudly.  There are things in the world that can beat money and teaching is one of those.  One of the ulitimate helping others.

7 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >