Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > suggestion about ADHD please    

suggestion about ADHD please

Mar0919
Mexico

EXCELLENT IDEA, ED!!!! Clap    I was trying to get my ideas together to give Liz a half-decent suggestion, but I can �t beat yours!!! I have two children like that in one of my classes, not AS BAD as poor Liz has, but one of them specially, makes me want to pull my hair sometimes, but then I feel so frustrated with myself and say, "am I really going to give up on this child? I must be doing SOMETHING wrong, since I �m not able to motivate this child!!!"

I �ve tried many things also, and praising this specific child constantly, has given me some result. For example, if he works well during class, I write a little note in his notebook, saying "Jordan worked really well today, congratulations!" and put a smiley face. I think his dad is giving him some kind of reward everytime he brings a note home. But the problem here with this little boy is, that his parents are divorced, he lives with his dad, and his dad does not have time for him. He works all day, so sometimes he does his homework til late at night when dad gets home, obviously he NEVER does English homework, since his dad thinks his Spanish school subjects are MORE important. But nevertheless, I am thankful to be able to get him to WORK in class. Before it was totally impossible, he just refused to work.

So.... I can understand what Liz is going through, but you �ve given her (me) a great suggestion!!!

8 Apr 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Another thing to be aware of is consistency. You should give any strategy you use some time to be effective. Make sure boundaries are clear (for rewards & penalties) & try not to single the student(s) in question out too much. If you can use his/her classmates to assist in control then that is also useful.

I had a step son with serious adhd, drug & behaviour issues, so I can really empathis & sympathise with your situation.

Look on the bright side... at least you don �t have to take those students home with you!!!

Anyway, when I get the opportunity (probably this Saturday) I �ll send you a few ideas about strategies if you like.

Oh, last comment, it �s actually my former step son & his issues that really made me want to become a teacher!

Cheers,
AB

8 Apr 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thanks, AB!!! your suggestions will really be useful for me, and for everybody I can assure you! Will be waiting.... tic...... tic......tic........ Wink

Hugs!!!

8 Apr 2011     

ellakass
Israel

Liz!Sent you pm

8 Apr 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Unless you are a special-needs educator - children with learning problems should not be in such a big class but in a class of their own with teachers who are specially trained to help these children.

I really feel sorry that you are in this situation and also sorry for the kids who want to learn but can �t because of all the disruptions.
A special education class shouldn �t have more than 4-6 of these students together in one class.

Perhaps you ought to speak with the principal of your school about this.
How else can you teach a class when half of them have no focus and are easily distracted?
That is pedagogically impossible.

8 Apr 2011     

Bare
Croatia

Dear Liz

maybe you can find some good strategies here .

Hug

goga

8 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

I totally agree with libertybelle. The ideas suggested here were excellent but how can they work in a class of 16 ADHD students? Which in addition has some non ADHD students who want to have a proper class?
Even if you manage to grab the attention of a few for a few minutes, there will still be plenty more to distract them again almost instantly. It �s not that the kids are unwilling to co operate and if we try hard enough they will oblige. There �s just too many of them and their disorder is more powerful that their good will.
So, I also think libertybelle �s advice should be first be put into action, and should the kids get somehow divided, all this excellent advice could be tried out.
Dear Liz, just remember that non of this is your fault, or the kids � fault and don �t let this situation get to your self esteem. I think you deserve praise for just managing to cope with the situation.
Good luck.

8 Apr 2011     

Julianus Simon
Indonesia

I think you should use colourful pictures to grasp their attention, and divide them into groups.  you can use colourful pictures to teach vocabulary game, listening and speaking game, fables, legend, and other narrative stories.
The second, you should use  varied kidsongs  to teach them English
Remember, teaching English must be noisy.  noise because of they are learning English, and enjoy it.
I hope it will  help.

8 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2