Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help    

I need help

bloom
Algeria

I need help

Good Morning,
Let me start by saying merry Christmas to all the Christian teachers and happy holidays for all the esl and elt teachers. I thank all of you  for your your nice contributions. I really have learnt a lot and my teaching has improved since I have been a member of this great site.
Tomorrow I�m going to have a demonstration lesson on test correction. Can any one suggest some ideas about the procedures I have to follow especially that my test includes a writing. Do I have to give the students a final production or just correct the common mistakes?
Glitter Graphics

14 Dec 2008      

Greek Professor
Greece

Good morning bloom,

Can you be more specific?  Do you want ways to correct or exercises?

If u want ways to correct well you can underline their mistakes and write next to them the type of mistake it is..

For example: ww: for wrong word
                      g: for grammar
                      p: for punctuation
                      T. for tenses
                      sp: for spelling
                      WO: for word order...

Well i dont know if this is want you are looking for... good luck

14 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning Bloom!! A lesson for test correction is not an easy one because students tend not to like it, especially if they are young or good students. But I believe you just want to know how we correct a writing activity. 

I usually ask 2 or 3 of the students with the best texts to read them out loud to the class. However this is not enough. So I usually print a transparency of the best text and analyse it together with the students -- introduction, body of the text, paragraphs, organization of ideas, sentence structure... whatever is relevant for the type of text I asked them to write  - description, story, biography, letter..... 

After a test, I always do with my classes a correction code worksheet with the most common mistakes they made.I take sentences from their tests, They identify the mistakes as well as the type of mistake /verb tense, spelling, word order.....) and rewrite the sentence. I have uploaded 2 of rhese worksheets here. You can just take a look and make your own according to your students�  most common mistakes.

I am not sure if this is what you wanted to know, anyway I hope I could be of some help.
A wonderful day to you all!

14 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Under the communicative language teaching, the tendency is to check communication and not only mistakes. Mistakes are not considered to be "that" serius as far as they do not interfere with communication. There�s a grading score. For example.

9 to 10 points: a few marks of native language, sporadic grammar mistakes, quite rich vocabulary, quite correct grammar structure. It communicates the message.
6 to 8 points :  more marks of native language,  limited vocabulary, a few  grammar mistakes. mitakes do no intefere with communication.
4 to 5 points:  frequent marks of native language,  frequent  grammar mistakes, poor vocabulary. Mitakes  intefere with communication quite often.
1 to 3 points:  frequent marks of native language, too frequent  grammar mistakes, very poor vocabulary. Mitakes  intefere with  communication .

Hope it helps you

14 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Bloom, are you still there?

I am not sure I understood what you wanted... a) criteria to correct the test, particularly the writing activity  -- descriptors to assess students� work in that skill --- or b)  how to plan a lesson to correct the test with the students... I thought it was the last one, but I can see that damielle and Greek professor understood you needed criteria.

Best wishes.

14 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Mena you are right. As you present it that way, I can�t see if bloom needs one thing or the other.

She says:

"Do I have to give the students a final production or just correct the common mistakes?"

I think that she has to ask for a written production and then develop a criteria for assessing that production. Is that what you mean, bloom??

14 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Oh my God!!!! Is it Mena�s sister who is on the screen now

14 Dec 2008     

bloom
Algeria

Dear mena22/
I think you understood what I really meant.It is actually
how to plan a lesson to correct the test with the students... I�ve already corrected the test but tomorrow I�m going to give demonstration lesson with my pupils to trainees teachers and I would like to succeed it. 

14 Dec 2008     

bloom
Algeria

I�m sorry for the confusion.
When I said"
Do I have to give the students a final production or just correct the common mistakes?", I meant: do I have to give the students a corrected( or a good sample)  paragraph or only correct the common mistakes especially that the time of the  lesson will be only one hour in which I�m going to correct the whole test(language+spelling+writing) and give remedial activities for the students.

14 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

lololololol.... damielle, I do have a sister and she�s also an English teacher. We live on different islands though. And we are not that differen, but that is a picture of me, myself.... lolololololol....

Ok bloom, thanks for letting us know. I thought that was what you wanted because those classes are usually boring for the students and we have to prepare them carefully so that they may enjoy it and, at the same time, learn from their mistakes.  A nice day to you all.

14 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

I see! Sometimes , when I have a great text from a student, I copy it and give it to the students. But giving is not good enough per si. You should print a transparency and make the students tell you the good points of that written text   organisation of ideas, paragraph structure.... If students are actively involved in the activity they won�t find it boring. Bye bye!

14 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >