Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > S.O.S    

S.O.S

this is it
Argentina

S.O.S

I�m looking for stories during the Holocaust on DVD. They�ve got to be for 11 year-old children.  
I�ve been working with one called : Rescuers, Two women which is great to work on but it�s not on DVD and the video is far too dark. It�s essential that the films are on DVD because I use images from the film to prepare handouts. Thanks in advance.

10 Apr 2011      

maryse pey�
France

well there is the classic �Dark and Fog � ("Nuit et Brouillard" in French) which is images from archives. A film very well done but with true images. In fact holocaust is a very painful subject to deal with and I don �t know films shot for young learners.

Maybe a movie from �Anne Frank �s Diary � ?

Hope you will find something interesting.

10 Apr 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

"The boy in the striped pajamas" is very interesting!

10 Apr 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Have a look! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914798/

10 Apr 2011     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzIC_bwxT8 for the trailer of The boy in the striped pajamas

Anne Frank The Whole Story Official Movie Trailer

10 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

oh, I forgot : you �ve got the wonderful Italian film �La vita � bella � (Life is Wonderful) by Begnini, the story of a father who saves his son from death by hiding him and making him believe the war is only a game. This film shows very deep feelings in a very somptuous and subtle way !

10 Apr 2011     

this is it
Argentina

Thanks to all. I know the topic isn�t easy that�s why this film, Two Women, is great. It�s not so tough and 11 year-old kids can handle it. The boy in the striped pijamas is great but too hard for kids. Thanks anyway!

10 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

The island on bird street. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119389/
It is based on a semi-autobiographic book by Uri Orlev by the same name. It tells the story of an 11 year old Jewish boy trying to survive in the Warsaw Ghetto. In our school, students read and saw this in 6th grade (the same age your students are...but they did so in Hebrew)

The book "number the stars" by Lois Lowry is also great for this age. It tells about a 10 year old Christian girl whose family helps a Jewish family. (the family of her friend) It is set in Denmark. The English isn �t too difficult.... (being a book about the war it isn�t �light� but not nearly as heavy as The boy in the striped Pyamas.) I am not sure it has been made into a movie.

Success

10 Apr 2011     

this is it
Argentina

Thanks a lot. I think I�ll try The island on Bird street since its story is similar to the one I�ve worked on. After I make the project, I�ll let you know.

11 Apr 2011     

Jayho
Australia

There is an excellent article (conference proceedings, 6 pages)  here that analyses 23 specific titles on this topic suitable for viewing by children under 13.

It �s worth a look by any teacher looking to include the holocaust in their program.

11 Apr 2011