Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tips to teach new-born English    

Tips to teach new-born English

yingying
China

Tips to teach new-born English

Hi, everybody,
 As an English teacher, it may seen odd to ask for tips to teach my new-born nephew to speak English ? Personally, I haven �t got any experience to raise any child?So, can someone offer some tips? My nephew is now 6 months old, and his mother tongue is not English. In general, he is not much exposed to the English environment until his mom and dad come back from work. Thanks in advance!

13 Apr 2011      

dnestrella
Uzbekistan

First of all congratulations with your new-born!
I �d say teaching him it �s not about much technique, but patience. A child gets involving in his mother tongue listening a lot. Even when he can �t speak he can listen and see! and remember much of it. So, you should point to the objects and name them in English for him. You should also give him some commands in English repeating them in his mother tongus as well, and he will start make parallels between the same meanings in two new for him languages. Now, as he can �t speak, you can also speak to him in English not claiming for a response (sure!) and listen some enjoyable music in English with him.
Later you can also buy him English spoken toys (like puppies) and sure, talk English to him translating it into your language automatically.

So, this my modest opinion :) Good luck with your nephew!

13 Apr 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Children pick up languages very quickly.  They are like sponges.  As dnestrella said, pointing to objects and naming them in English is the perfect way for a child to learn the vocabulary.  I like using flashcards and making a lot of gestures.  Good luck, it will be fun.

13 Apr 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

play and sing nursery rhymes - thats how British babies learn English.

13 Apr 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. If the child is a new-born there is no need to repeat the commands or words in his native language as he doesn �t have one yet. What you do have to do is be consistent. Be that person in his life that speaks a different language. Let him associate English with you. What children learn quickly is that a person speaks their language and they �ll take the easy road. Be relentless don �t speak the native language to him, everyone else is going to be doing it, right? If you speak his native language you �ll end up teaching him by  translating  which is not the best way. Be as natural as can be. The same things his parents teach him in his native language(songs, rhymes folktales etc), you teach in English. I �m sure there will those that disagree but I think it makes sense IMHO. Good luck and enjoy the baby. Time goes by so quickly. Ed

13 Apr 2011     

Zora
Canada

I totally agree with Ed. It �s probably the most natural way for a baby to learn too. Besides, if you think about it a little that �s why families that have moms that stay at home and speak another language to the child, have bilingual children. The mom talks to the child in her native tongue while everybody else speaks to him/her in another language. 

13 Apr 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I also agree with Ed, since in my home, my husband has done this way and my children are fluent in English. So you should be consistent and firm. Even nowadays, my children say "boa noite" to me and "good night" to their dad. 

14 Apr 2011     

Errie
Japan

ONLY speak English with both of my sons. Their native language will be Japanese because they �ll grow up here go to school etc.  I use a lot of flashcards with my 4 year old, sing songs in the car, teach the ABC, watch English cartoons like Curious George. My 1 year old doesn �t speak of course but when I tell him to get his jacket because we �re about to leave he knows what I say and get �s his jacket. Same thing for all the other � �daily phrases � �.
Children are amazing and learn very fast.

14 Apr 2011     

dennismychina
China

There is a course using video and flash cards and they claim you can start with three month old babies. The course is called �Your baby can read�. This is their webpage: www.YourBabyCanRead.com. Mention my name .... and they �ll have no idea who you �re talking about.:-)

Enjoy.

14 Apr 2011     

douglas
United States

I agree with Ed and Linda--that �s how I did it with my children (I speak English and their Mom speaks German to them).  I also am a big fan of Dr Seuss books--it makes the language come alive and feeel so natural for the children.

Because my children were in a primarily German environment, I usually bought them books and videos in English.  When we watch a DVD we watch it in English, unless there are German speaking friends watching it with us.

14 Apr 2011     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I know native spanish speaking parents who speak to their children only in english (they are both fluent).  they also speak spanish fluently as the nanny and everyone else speaks to them in spanish.  Their grandparents speak to them in german so they know this language too!  The children listen to your language then just speak to you in that.

Pretty cool!

14 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >