Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > having a problem with word forms    

having a problem with word forms

imanito
Morocco

having a problem with word forms

Hello dear friends!

I came across a sentence in one of my students papers; she wrote "the three activities people can do on the internet are: to communicate, find information and shopping."  well, I consider using shopping (here as noun) instead of shop (verb) as incorrect; since we have in this sentence a coordinating conjunction "and" which is supposed to connect two identical clauses. Accordingly, are we supposed to put shop here instead of shopping?if not, could you please explain why?
Thank you so much
Imane

14 Apr 2011      

magneto
Greece

Your reasoning makes sense to me.

The sentence should read "The three activities people can do on the internet are (to) communicate, find information and shop." (I would probably omit the colon and make it a cleft sentence.)
OR

"The three activities people can do on the internet are: communicating (with others/ each other), finding information and shopping."

The first sentence sounds better to me, especially if it is part of a writing task. I just don �t like colons and lists in writing tasksSmile

Hope that helps.

14 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

Good answer, magneto.
Both of your sentences sound good to me, and your second sentence doesn �t need the colon, either.

Bruce

15 Apr 2011     

imanito
Morocco

Thank you so much dear friends for your help.

15 Apr 2011     

Julianus Simon
Indonesia

could be either "to shop" or to do shopping

hope it will help

15 Apr 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

As Magneto says......

"The three activities people can do on the internet are: communicating (with others/ each other), finding information and shopping online."
but only use shopping when you use "AND." or shop online without the "AND" being used.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

15 Apr 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

@ Smilesoul: �that � can safely be omitted and it �s ON the internet, not �at �.

15 Apr 2011