Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ´on ´ or ´upon ´    

´on ´ or ´upon ´

Redbull
Thailand

Hi

Can you please tell me the difference in the use of prepositions ´on ´ and ´upon ´? Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.

On/upon and in/into are equally interchangeable but yes sometimes they don ´t go together it all depends on the sentence you are using.

And I would say I was sitting on the sofa watching TV. Not upon. so yes some sentences you can ´t interchange.

But why are we getting soooooooo finicky and full of trivial detail; with overelaborate MEANINGS.

It ´s you that has misunderstood!

On or Upon?/In or Into?

On/upon and in/into are equally interchangeable according to the Merriam-Webster ´s Dictionary of English Usage and the oxford.

HERE AND THE CAMBRIDGE DICTIONARY SAYS INTO DAYS USAGE THEY CAN BE INTERCHANGEABLE..............
EXAMPLE:
Teacher: you can now "log into"logon,login your computers......
The correct terms are "log in" or "log on." One can find instances of computer writers using "logon" and "login" as one word.

As to why these uses are correct and "log into" isn ´t — basically correct but can be used with todays language, it is a matter of usage. Speakers and writers over the past 50 years or so have established "log in" as the phrase.

But words are changing everyday and thier use also are changing everyday Dawunmian.
So the in/into now can be at times, used for interchangeable sentences.

quite clearly ´the man is in the car ´ is correct and ´the man is into the car? in is wrong.
correct and your point is............???//////?

15 Apr 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Dear redbull

You misunderstand.

quite clearly ´the man is in the car ´ is correct and ´the man is into the car? in wrong.

you can use in as a preposition of movement but you cant use into as a preposition of place.

15 Apr 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

R**bull,

Did you actually check what you wrote?

"On/upon and in/into are equally interchangeable"

followed shortly after by 

"I would say I was sitting on the sofa watching TV. Not upon. so yes some sentences you can ´t interchange"

They can ´t be equally interchangeable then, can they? (I ´m ignoring the obviously unintentional ambiguity in the first sentence, the eccentric punctuation everywhere and the fact that nowhere does the MWDEU state that these words are ´interchangeable ´)

Oh, and when you log ´in ´ or ´on ´, these words can be classified as adverbs or intransitive prepositions; in either case, there ´s no complement. 

There ´s a difference between being finicky and being conscientious - particularly when you ´re writing on a language forum.

15 Apr 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Almaz as always you know best.......... you must be the best teacher in the world right?

But I will take back my statement saying "On/upon and in/into are equally interchangeable"

"THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE BUT NOT EQUALLY"................

SO DEBATE IS NOW OVER AND THE END!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

15 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2