Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > POEMS - WORLD WAR II    

POEMS - WORLD WAR II

Lancillotta:
Italy

POEMS - WORLD WAR II

Hi,

I�m looking for poems with a social/human engagement ;  period:   World War II.

They should  be in English (there are great poems written by B. Brecht but they are not originally written in English).

I selected :

�To JS/07/m/378� by W.H.Auden  and

�Mort Aux Chats�   by Peter Porter.

� Funeral Blues � W.H.Auden   (The community  and the universe called to share the individual   tragedy)  

"O WHAT IS THAT SOUND"  W.H.Auden

Any other idea /suggestion?

Thanks for your help,

Have a nice day,

Sabrina

16 Apr 2011      

chrissmolder
Australia

I �ve been using this site for WWI poetry.  I haven �t actually looked at the WWII poems, but it �s a great site:

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/poetry/poetry_ww2_0.html

Links to WWII poems are on the left.

Have fun!

16 Apr 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s perhaps an appropriate one for you Sabrina, called "The Ballad of the D-Day Dodgers" which refers to the Allied soldiers (including Poles and Brazilians) who were fighting in Italy before, during and after the D-Day landings in Normandy but were irrationally stigmatized for avoiding the latter.

Some background and full text here.

I know you were asking specifically for poems, but I recall hearing Hamish Henderson (the poet most associated with the ballad) reciting it as a poem

16 Apr 2011     

Sonn
Russian Federation

This poem was written during the war and was devoted to an actress with whom the poet was in love. All the women and men in Russia recited this poem during the war when  there was no hope and to some of them it helped to survive and come back to their beloved ones.
http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/31465-Konstantin-Simonov-Wait-For-Me

The song was written after the war but it �s very popular until now. It can be used at the end of the lesson to illustrate the feelings of a soldier who lives after the war and who lost lots of his friends. But in spite of this he sees the beauty all around him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7q74yV5b4 (the lyrics are in the description)

16 Apr 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Thanks for all your answers!
I appreciate them very much!
Hugs
Sabrina

16 Apr 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Flanders Fields is a special poem, but it was written in the time of WWI.  There are some songs on Youtube regarding this poem. 

16 Apr 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

This is a classic marching song of British soldiers during WW1 and it was still popular during WW2

Sonn, thanks for our Victory Day song. Would never have thought it would sound so great in English!

17 Apr 2011