Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > System scan for malware    

System scan for malware

juliag
Japan

System scan for malware

Hi, good morning everyone,

I wonder if any of you computer experts out there can help me again.

I �ve been having lots of trouble with my Internet access. Even after changing the modem it continues, so the problem is with my computer.

Although I know very little about computers by good fortune last night surfing the net I found that malware will often distort the winsock something or other and how to reset it.

I reset this and managed to use the Internet normally for a while, so I think the malware whatever it is is still in my computer and redistorting it.

I also read that there are some kinds of malware that an antivirus (I have Norton Systemworks) can �t check.

I want to scan my whole computer with a spyware (I think that �s what they �re called, don �t really know, sorry) that will find and get rid of all kinds of malware. I don �t mind paying up to a reasonable amount if that is the best option.

Is there a good spyware that someone could recommend me?
Thank you in advance for all your help and enjoy your day.

Julia

19 Apr 2011      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Julia!

I highly recommend running Spybot Search & Destroy. It �s free & doesn �t use a lot of computer power to have running in the background anytime you use your computer:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

If you want to do an initial intensive scan, turn off your antivrus software & run Trend Micro HouseCall online. It �s also free & picks up most things. A small file will be dowmloaded so that it can run on your computer. Keep your computer online while running this.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/

Cheers,
AB

19 Apr 2011     

juliag
Japan

Thank you Nancy for your PM and Alien Boy for your reply. You are both absolute stars! Star
I �ll try what you suggest and let you know how it goes. I �m not very good with computers so your advice is a great help to me. Hug

19 Apr 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

As AB says Spybot is very good for no cost to you........

1) But whatever software you use please scan in safe mode when you start up your computer as this will find the Malware or any Antivirus you have hidden inside.

(2) But please remember to start looking for any bad stuff in your computer from safe mode!!!!

(3) If all else fails then try and do a system restore from the point of having your troubles.

(4) Kaspersky is a very good Antivirus suite 2011 and can find the best of Malware or virus your have so I would recommend you to buy this next time for your computer.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

19 Apr 2011     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Great recommendations, everyone :)

Julie, in case those methods don �t work, but I think they will, you should think of getting a licenced copy of Kaspersky lab antivirus. I agree with "redbull guy" above on that. I ve used it for a few years, never had a problem once.

19 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

one other thing to consider....
I have had (still have) a lot of problems with my internet connection. After a few months of telephone conversations with the technical support people and some technicians coming over, my internet provider reluctantly conceded that there is a problem with the infrastructure in my area. I live next to a huge construction site and apparently, when they dug out 3 floors of underground parking, they damaged a main cable. Until the building is finished this problem cannot be fixed and I �ll have to deal with a problematic connection...
This is after I too bought a new modem, upgraded and downgraded the internet speed, exchanged the adsl filters, cancelled out extra phones etc. etc. etc...
I �m just saying, make sure the problem is really with your computer, have your provider run an in depth check of the services they provide...

19 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hi dear dear Julia, it �s good to hear from you. Not for the bad news of course !

Here 2 addresses for your problem, they greatly helped me and I think Hazza has used them too and has been satisfied. these 2 systems are FREE.

19 Apr 2011     

juliag
Japan

You guys are totally marvellous, thank you for all your help and support.
I ran one of the recommended scans and found 2 trojan horses which were removed, so hopefully things will get back to normal now, and if not I �ll try some of the other sites you guys recommended.

Poor you Marion! That sounds like a nightmare, though at least they have found the cause of the problem at last. I hope the construction finishes soon and your Internet will be back to normal.

Wishing you all a lovely rest of your day.
Hugs
Julia

19 Apr 2011