Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching Adults    

Teaching Adults

fletsch
Canada

Teaching Adults

Hello from Shanghai everyone:

I am going to be starting teaching a group of Mothers around age 30-40. They have basic - intermediate level English and are looking to have practice with their oral speaking skills.  I have some ideas of my own for the first class. Anyone who has some ideas for lessons or some suggestion that I could do with my new students it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks lots,

Fletsch

21 Apr 2011      

plucka
Japan

Hey Fletsch, I use a number of different sources for lesson materials, but usually my first port of call is handoutsonline.com

It �s not free (you buy a yearly membership), but it does provide very good, preparation free lessons.

Cheers, Tom

21 Apr 2011     

douglas
United States

Come in every day with one or two discussion topics and simply chat with them--the best way to improve oral skills is to speak the language as much as possible. I always start my lessons talking about each other �s weekends and weekend plans.

Also be spontaneous and flexible, a topic may come up that they are all interested in--explore the topic while the interest is there.

I correct them as they speak, but you have to be careful how much you correct and whether you correct it right-away or wait til they are done speaking--this is an art, you must stay in tune to the group, the person, and the severity/importance of the mistake.  

>>It �s okay to let them make some mistakes with out correcting them every time!<<

Douglas 

21 Apr 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Fletsch, I would teach the students a small talk. For example, you have an iPad and working on it and there �s another person in the room and it �s kind of an awkward situation to make a small talk going. Like, oh you have the coolest gadget... The person presumably who has it is a computer geek or just the user. Anyway, it would be nice to feature all those kind of tech voc and a variety of gadgets and thier differences on the market to make the conversation going. It �s very popular right now and many people have it and would like to share thier new toy with the others 
Another topic of a small talk can be about the weather, economic crises, inflation. Business is business and affects people in that or another degree.
Small talk about cars, like  "How good is your gas mileage? " and so on.  Cars are not a luxuary anymore but a necessity and people would love talking about their "baby"
Topic about shopping. Famous brands... Have gone shopping to...  What did you buy?
Good luck!

22 Apr 2011