Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > REWRITE THE SENTENCE CORRECTLY    

REWRITE THE SENTENCE CORRECTLY

pilarnavarro
Spain

REWRITE THE SENTENCE CORRECTLY

The sentence "The road to the beach has 2 km."
Could  the mistake be in the verb "has"?
Can you help?
Thanks!!

24 Apr 2011      

yanogator
United States

The best sentence would be "It is two km to the beach", or "It is 2 km from here to the beach". To keep most of the original sentence, you could say "The road to the beach is 2 km long", but that would be saying that the road goes from here to the beach, and nowhere else. In any case, you can �t use "has".

Bruce

24 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

I agree with Bruce.

25 Apr 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

The road to the beach .... has ... + present perfect.
has been surfaced / has recently been widened / has been improved / has been paved / has been under construction / has many amusements. :-)

The google leads me to the "correct the mistake exercise" if I write "the road to the beach has 2 km". But when I say this sentence in Czech, it is perfectly correct. :-)

Maybe our languages have something in common!

PS: I was told it is perfectly correct to say: "The room has 4 windows to the beach."
So you CAN use "have" with some non-living objects...

25 Apr 2011     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Thanks for all your answers.

25 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

moravc,
I wouldn �t say "...four windows to the beach". It sounds more natural to say "... four windows facing the beach". "a door to the beach", yes, but "a window to the beach", not very natural.

Bruce

25 Apr 2011