Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Trash TV    

Trash TV

abba
Spain

Trash TV

Hi everybody!!!! I have a doubt, is the word �trash TV � correct for those programs about people who are supposed to be famous just because they had an affair with a famous person or something like that? Is there any other word or expression for this type of TV programs?
Thanks a lot.

25 Apr 2011      

maroemma
Greece

Trash TV is fine. Regarding the press, they are called "tabloids".

25 Apr 2011     

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help.

25 Apr 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Now that Maroemma brings that up..that type of TV programming is also sometimes called tabloid TV. Ed

25 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

Thank you, too then. It �s always great to learn something new. Maria

25 Apr 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Have you notice just like tabloid papers there isn �t that many people that admit watching tabloid or trash TV but they still have a huge following.  Think it is sad.  But let �s add for radio it is called shock jocks.  Well shock jocks is one of the terms used.

26 Apr 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting - I have never heard it called trash TV.  Maybe that is a US English term for it because trash is the US equivalent for the UK term of rubbish.  Often we will say that a TV show is trashy but more often than not we will say that it, being the program, is a load of rubbish/garbage. 

26 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

In Greece we also use the term "trash TV" . Shock jock is something I �ve never heard before and thanks for the info Roney.

26 Apr 2011