Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

emansoliman
Egypt

help

i don �t know the difference between:
alligator and crocodile,
tortoise and turtle
rug  and mat
and other words
who can answer me
and is there a website for these similar vocabulary
thanks

30 Apr 2011      

maryse pey�
France

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-crocodile-and-an-alligator.htm

this address above will give you the main differences between alligator and crocodile.

a tortoise lives in gardens and exclusively on the ground whereas a turtle lives in water and lays eggs in the sand.

30 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

here are mats

here are rugs

30 Apr 2011     

Jayho
Australia

To add to Maryse�s reply"

A mat is functional and is mainly used in front of doors (inside and out) to protect the inside areas from wear and tear and dirt - "wipe your shoes on the the mat before you come in the house".  There are also bath mats that you put in front of the bath to prevent you slipping on the tiled floor when you get out of the bath.

A rug is larger and is mainly used for decoration although sometimes it will be functional.

Cheers

Jayho

1 May 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Hi
You can wrap yourself in a rug on a cold day. Hence the expression �all rugged up � but you can �t do that with a mat.
Cheers Joy

1 May 2011     

libertybelle
United States

And yoga mats too!
(joy - isn �t that a plaid?  :)

1 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

It �s a travel rug - The kind you have in the car for picnics...or for putting over grandma �s knees.

(but it could also be called a picnic blanket. We usually use the word tartan rather than plaid which is US English)
....and there are table mats/ place mats.

1 May 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I would call joy �s picture a plaid as well...or maybe a blanket for beginners..never heard the expression "all rugged up" I learn something new every day!
I would use �rug� for the "lay alone"(as opposed to wall to wall) carpets  you put on the floor in the salon... like the famous Persian rugs.
Thanks for explaining the differrence between a tortoise and a turtle...have always been to lazy to check it...

1 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

My understanding of Scottish usage is that a plaid is the cloth, and the tartan is the pattern on it. Maybe I �m wrong about that.

Bruce

1 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Bruce, plaid essentially refers to a blanket-like garment. 

A full plaid (top) and a belted plaid (below):

1 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I have found a nice and simple way to remind the difference between tortoise and turtle : imagine the TURTLE in the middle of BUBBLES ! (similar sounds).

Have a very good Sunday all of you.

Maryse.

1 May 2011