Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > About this sentence    

About this sentence

sidey
Costa Rica

About this sentence

hey guys, I have a big about the following sentence: "She is lates sometimes for english classes" I know that sometimes has four positions, but that position makes me doubt.

1 May 2011      

jpinero
Spain

No prob with that one sidey, I think!
Although there are a couple of spelling mistakes.
 "She is sometimes late for English classes" seems more neutral to me, but according to this link http://www.englishforums.com/English/PositionOfSometimes/lrbm/post.htm there are more possibilities - "sometimes" can be placed at the beginning or at the end.

Greetings from Spain

1 May 2011     

Abbes_Z
Morocco

Hi Sidey,

Your sentence word order is correct. Still, I think the best position for this frequency adverb-- as with other adverbs in general-- is between the verb and the adjective:
"She is sometimes late for English classes."

And when you have an auxiliary or modal preceding a past participle/a base verb form, the best position then is between the auxiliary/modal and the past participle/base verb form:

e.g.:
- She has regularly done her homeworks so far.
- We should sometimes tolerate others � opinions.

I hope this will help! Smile 

1 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

She has regularly done her homeworks so far.

The above placement of regularly doesn �t sound quite natural to me in this sentence. I would write:

She has always done her homework regularly so far. 
She does her homework regularly.
She regularly does her homework in the evening, but sometimes she finishes it in the morning.

Where sometimes is placed depends on the meaning and context:

Sometimes I am late for school, but only when the bus is late.
She is sometimes late for English classes because the class before that is in another building. (It �s a long way to walk)
She is late sometimes, but not often.
She sometimes leaves early because she has regular medical appointments.

1 May 2011