Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reference    

reference

thebard
Tunisia

reference

what does "it" refer to?

But there is a lot more to this than just playing an instrument or turning children into professional musicians. Our aim is our slogan: "Making people better human beings". I believe that music can teach you about life. Playing in an orchestra means commitment, respect for the person sitting next to you, teamwork, discipline and being organised. It also improves mental agility. I �ve seen young people change their attitude towards themselves, their family and community since starting with us.

1 May 2011      

Jayho
Australia

It = playing in an orchestra

I use this website when teaching reference structures.  Maybe it is useful for you.

Cheers

Jayho

1 May 2011     

thebard
Tunisia

thank you 

1 May 2011     

sousou aicha
Tunisia

It �s a bit misleading, but I think "it" refers to music. Orchestra is just an example, you can delete the whole sentence without affecting the overall meaning of the paragraph. Music can teach you about life and improve your mental ability. Playing in an orchestra is a type of music. Hope you find my analysis convincing.

1 May 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

It = playing in an orchestra

BTW, playing in an orchestra is not a type of music, it�s an activity.

Hug

Kim

1 May 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I agree with britishschwa. It absolutely means "playing in an orchestra" here.

1 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I agree with sousou that we might not have enough information here. This is obviously part of some advertising material, and we would have to see the entire text to be sure. "It" might refer to becoming a student there or part of their orchestra, or whatever it is they are advertising, based on the last sentence you quoted.

If I had to give an answer based only on the text here, I would agree that "it" means "playing in an orchestra."

Bruce

1 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

The full text is here and it is a very interesting media article about free music schools for children living in poor and crime ridden areas in Columbia.  Actually, the article is extremely inspirational.

Yes, "it" could be about music but in my opinion, in the context of the article,  it is about the orchestra.  Also, to find the meaning of the specific pronoun you have to go back to the last concept mentioned which in this case is "playing in the orchestra". If the author had intended "it" to be music then he would not have used a pronoun to begin this particular sentence but used the concept itself e.g. Music also improves mental agility.  

Do yourself a favour and read the article - you�ll be glad you did.

Cheers

Jayho

2 May 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Yes, the article is interesting. There �s a good book also on this subject "Mozart effect". In Montessori school there �s even an activity when the Mozart music is on for the first half an hour. It �s all to boost the creativity of the kids. There �s no doubt about it, it �s magic. Anyway, but playing in an orchestra is not everyone �s cup of tea, i think. I used to play an accordion, like Bruce, :) and it was in an orchestra. I wouldn �t say it was lot �s fun for me. First thing is the part of the music you �ve got to read was usually incomplete and just the rythm of beats and there �s no smooth and complete melody. The second, even though my partner had the same notes as I �m, we were always playing different rythmic patterns. That was funny, especially when the conductor gave us a look which was even more funnier. Anyway, but when I played in duet or in trio -- that was a different story and a complete melody. But it �s all  individual, I think. All my great memories from being in an orchestra -- we all had a wonderfull ship trip along the river Pripyat.

2 May 2011     

thebard
Tunisia

i agree that it �s a bit ambiguous but 
 "playing in an orchestra" sounds more appropriate. 

2 May 2011