Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

Snow- white
Macedonia

help

Collegues,help please.Is it more correct to say "end of first half term" or "end of first half"??I want to give my students an award for "The best student "before the winter holiday and I�m not sure which is correct.

15 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Snow white,

It depends - I am in the southern hemisphere so our terms are different to yours - but I will try to help.

Term = the period between the holidays (eg in NZ they have 10 weeks of teaching then 2 weeks of holiday so there are 4 terms in the year)

Semester = I have only ever heard this word used when the year is split into two parts.

So:

�End of Year� - is fine when you are in the southern hemisphere - as it means literally the end of the year - and children go into a new class after the New Year.  In the northern hemisphere - I do not think they use that term - but I could be wrong.  I would definitely not use �end of half year�.

�End of term� is perfect if the time period was for say 5 - 15 weeks.

�End of semester� is perfect if it is the end of the half year.

Hope this is clearer than mud.
Vicki

15 Dec 2008     

Snow- white
Macedonia

Thanks for your help.I would certainly use "end of first semester"now and be somewhere in between.Our school starts on 1 st of September till 31st of December then the winter holiday and then again on 22nd of January till 10th of June.The following September is a new school year.Thanks again.

16 Dec 2008