Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TOEFL    

TOEFL

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

TOEFL

Hi everybody,

Last evening one of my adult students has asked me information about this exam. He has already passed the FCE exams some years ago and now he is interested in sitting this exam. The point is that I have little information about it. I don �t know the differences about both exam layout. I know I can easily download loads of books to get practice for the TOEFL test but I would rather you share your invaluable experience and information with me. Which books do you use to prepare your students for doing the TOEFL exam?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.  

3 May 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

Cambridge updates very often its book for students with true previous exams and you can have the book with the keys and the CDs for the oral part.
Just type TOEFL books  Cambridge on your screen and you will see that there are the usual titles about the exam itself and books about preparation with explained exercises (grammar points explained) more targeted.

The best is to choos in the Cambridge range about the exam you are to sit for.

hope I will help.

3 May 2011     

Euyi
Argentina

Hello,
I sat for the TOEFL exam in February. It �s important to know that there �re different formats (Paper-based/Computer-based/Internet-based) and they are all different as regards score and types of exercises. I took the Internet-based one (Toefl IBT) and I found plenty of material in the net. The exercises available are really useful and challenging. To be honest, the exam format and the English level, at least when it comes to the IBT choice, is quite different from the FCE format, so your student will have to undergo a different kind of training. 
You can try this link where u will find relevant information about the test

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hugs from Argentina,
Eugenia

3 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

One thing you should know about TOEFL exams, is that the exam is only valid for two years. Then the student must resit the exam. The good thing about TOEFL is that you can not fail the exam and you may retake it as many times as you like.

Now, I would not normally suggest that a person take the TOEFL exam "just because"... as it is not like the Cambridge exams which most of the diplomas are valid "forever" and don �t expire. Now, if your student is somebody who is bored or likes taking exams, then he may not mind spending $150 � $200 on the exam and, in which case I see no problem with doing it "just because".

Also, these exams are usually used as a way to prove your English level to enter in a North American university. That is why the English is very different to the Cambridge exams. In my opinion, it is a much more technical English; and not the everyday English you hear or use on the street.

3 May 2011     

maceman
Canada

Hi,
I have been teaching TOEFL for the last two years in Ontario Canada.
We use the Complete Guide to the TOEFL test ibt version by Bruce Rogers.
We have had a lot of succes using this book.
There are many others on the market.
The test is designed to measure the English language ability of people who do not speak English as their mother tongue and who plan to study at colleges and universities in North America.
TOEFL is a very important test in North America.
There are about 5000 colleges and Universities and other academic institutions in the United States and Canada that require students to supply test scores of TOEFL as part of the admission process.
It is meant to measure a students proficiency in English at an academic setting.
Hope this helps you.

3 May 2011     

Gaby141
United Kingdom

Hi Chenchen

You will also find a lot of exercises on the internet. Here is a great website that I use with students to practise for their TOEFL iBT exam. The speaking section is excellent. It contains exercises for all six types of speaking questions including integrated reading and listening.  I �m sure you will find it very helpful!

Have a nice day!

5 May 2011