Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Over" or "Around"?    

"Over" or "Around"?

douglas
United States

I agree with Linda about the separate thread thing.  It should not be a new thread, it should be a comment on the old thread.  But I also still believe that grammar explanations are best shared with everyone--on the forum. 

5 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Not all the topics on the forum are the same, so they should be treated differently. It �s not a question of justice, but the importance. When Victor judges a topic as very important he sticks it on the main page for days. The main purpose of this forum is to be used for ESL teachers and I agree that Les � topics are always clarifying, I also learn a lot from them and appreciate Les � fine sense of humor.

Some have as their main contribution to the site teaching others how to prepare wss; others share their artistic pieces of knowledge through their terrific wss, collecting tons of points. Some others, who have a deep knowledge of English rules and use share it with us and we should thank them every day for that. (Thanks, Les. Thanks, Les. Thanks, Les!!! - This is my portion of "thanks" for today)

If you want Les to stop starting his topics (no matter if they are a response to any other thread on the forum) I beg him not to listen to you, because if he does most of us will lose his valuable responses. In addition, I �d ask Victor to stick them in the forum whenever they appear so everyone could learn from them.

Justice is not to give the same importance to things that are valuable and others that just bore us because they are constantly repeated as an annoying echo. Justice is to give each thing the importance it really deserves, and if someone thinks this forum is not a place to threads like this one, maybe we should start topics on videogames or religion instead.

This is an ESL site and if some teachers don �t need to learn or think they already know enough, just roll down and let us enjoy his threads.

LES, PLEASE ----------- KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Hug

5 May 2011     

douglas
United States

...and who determines what is important and what isn �t? 

Pretty soon we will have no more answers to threads, we will only have new threads referring to prior threads.  The top ten threads that remain on top would recycle about every two minutes or so--not good. 

The purpose of the "hot items" button is so members can see any new posts made, even new posts made to threads that have dropped off the front page.

Douglas

5 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Sorry to disagree with you, I think that we should have some way to "classify" threads as "important" so they could remain on the main page for more time than others that are useful for only very few members.

This is one I �d classify as "very, very, very important". Threads like this one are my main reason to dig the forum every day.

5 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ahh... the topic of "fairness" has come about... Aren �t the rules the same for "everybody"? I thought that they were, but I guess not. My mistake.

Obviously, there ARE members here on ESLPrintables that are more valuable than others. Despite arguments that EVERYBODY is important and there shouldn �t be people who are given special status. Hmm, maybe it �s just my Canadianness (or innocence) but I believed that we were all the same and thereby had to follow the same rules. Guess not.

Well, I am very glad to see that some of us are allowed to do things and others aren �t.

5 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

If you read again you �ll see that I was talking about "topics" and not "members". Any member able to give us complete explanations as he does will deserve the same consideration and attention, as in fact they do, because he �s not the only one able to do that.

I said that there are threads of importance to everybody (assuming that English knowledge is a topic of importance for ESL teachers) and others that interest only a minor parcel of members (what �s a watermarked image? how can I get my points? what software do you use to prepare wss? how to spell...? and so on).

As a happy owner of one (in fact more than one) dictionary, also having the ability to read and find the FAQ section, this kind of questions that normally use the greatest portion of the forum are not relevant for me and I guess for many others.

Giving each topic the importance it deserves according to its relevance in ESL is justice. If a student gives us a flawless paper, he deserves an A. If he gives us a piece of s... he deserves an F. Does that mean we think the first student is more important than the second? Would it be fair to give them the same grade just to be "fair"?

5 May 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I wish that when an older post is answered it would jump back to a current view. Other forums do this. That way people can freely answer old posts or add to older posts knowing that it will be read. Threads that are not answered naturally die, and threads that can be added to naturally thrive. Would stop the repetition also of some topics possibly!
I don �t know if this can be done with the forum on this site in the current format though.

It would be a win win for everyone!

5 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

We have the "hot topics" link and whenever a thread is answered it goes to the top of the list, but I guess only the members who read threads and info on the site know that, so a thread remains for a little time there - if it interests a group of people - but disappears in a day or two.

5 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

I think you �ve missed the point altogether. You are saying that basically, because Les writes a long (very long) explanation with grammar book quotes that he can post a new thread to an old question. Whereas, say if another one of us summed it up in a paragraph or less, we can �t.

Grammar explanations shouldn �t be about length, they are about concision and about making things as easy as possible. If I wanted a long explanation, I would pull out my grammar book. I, for one, like short, simple and to the point... and I really dislike seeing people being singled out because they "are better" than the rest of us. The student situation in question goes like this...

Is it fair to give an A student, who missed the deadline, more time to finish an essay than to one you know who will turn in a C? That is the question, and the answer should be clear... "no" - unless you are willing to give both students the same opportunity.

5 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Sorry Linda if I made you think for a moment that you are "les" important than someone else, that wasn �t my intention. That �s not personal but the threads Les starts are of great importance to me.

As a native speaker they sound boring to you, but I guess most of the teachers here are "aliens" like the Brazilian who �s talking to you now.

Just to point out, I find it really interesting that every time you post a response under mine you openly disagree with my opinion. I reckon that even the most different people in the world would agree in one or two points sometimes, but it seems you are an exception - at least concerning my opinions.

I didn �t want to draw some members � disagreement just because I answered Les � topics but sometimes it seems that expressing my opinion attracts some negative remarks that the thread (or the author) doesn �t deserve itself.

Les, credit the negative remarks on this thread below mine as a negative response to me, don �t take them against you because they clearly aren �t...

5 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >