Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I wish...    

I wish...

baiba
Latvia

I wish...

Good evening/ morning everyone,

Could you give me your advice about the use of I wish?

What is the difference between I wish you did sth and I wish you would do sth? I am kind of confused about these 2 cases.

5 May 2011      

etoilist
Tunisia

we use wish with s.past to say that we regret something, to say that something is not as we would like it to be.
eg."I wish i knew her phone number."(i don �t know it and I regret this)

we use I wish...would ...when we want sometyhing to happen .The speaker is not happy with the present situation.

"I wish it would stop raining." [because I want to go out]

The phone has been ringing for five minutes. I wish someone would answer it.

5 May 2011     

stexstme
France

removed ( Sorry, Bruce...)

5 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I would say, "I wish I hadn �t died" rather than "I wish I didn �t die".

From your question,
"I wish you played the piano" means that I wish that you had the ability.
"I wish my wife cooked"
"I wish my students listened in class"

It is essentially the simple present (in its conditional form, which looks like the simple past, but isn �t), which, as you know, is used for ongoing or repeated action.

"I wish you would play the piano" is a request, or at least an expression of a wish for a single incident.
"I wish my wife would cook dinner. I �m hungry."
"I wish my students would listen when I read the instructions for their test."

Again, this is a conditional form, so it uses the conditional of "will", which is "would".
It parallels the simple future, which can be demonstrated with "hope":
"I hope you will play the piano"
"I hope my wife will cook dinner soon"
"I hope my students will listen when I read the instructions for their test"

I hope this helps

Bruce

5 May 2011     

baiba
Latvia

Hiiiiiiiiii Sylvie! You are very much alive if you are writing this! No talking about dying please! (Thanks for coming online!)

Thanks etoilist and Bruce! Your examples made this structure much clearer to me. I wish my students would understand it when I explain these things tomorrow!

5 May 2011     

stexstme
France

Trying to be funny ... But not quite good at it these days ... I thought I �d better say ..hello, Darling.
I removed my previous post - not funny, indeed.
I �ll make you smile : Not being at home (!) , I just cannot "reach" my mail!!! LOLI�m as hopelesss as that!!!
But I remember well ESLP- sooooooooo, I thought tonight I could have a break, & ... say hello to a dear friend. But you know me, I�ve been naughty again!
Well, I�m starting loosing my hair - not great!!! I got a wonderful mail from Olinda - I miss you all , dudes!!! ( Hi! Almaz! I�ve beeen reading you ! ;o) He! He! )
Hospital not really my cuppa - but mate- I�m "their" thing!!!
I keep believing this is NOT happening to me , but my mum keeps crying whenever she comes here!....
I need fun, Baiba, I need people who do not cry when they�re talking to me ..............
I�ll do my best - cos Jelena ( ie: Jecika) promised me she�d post a HUGE picture when /if I�m back. Just to see that, I�ll �bl....y� do my best!!!!
He! He!
Keep smiling,
Thank you so much for your friendship,
Little Buddha

5 May 2011     

baiba
Latvia

Sylvie,

5 May 2011     

stexstme
France

See you .... later(!).
Right ??
HeartClownHeart
I �m off. These nurses are nazis!!!!!!!!!!
Ha! Ha!
Baiba, I �m ....scared. Dont tell anyone. It �s a secret.

5 May 2011