Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which and that    

which and that

saszka2
Poland

which and that

I have got a problem with a FCE exercise taken from past FCE use of English papers.
It is a gap filling exercise in which you have to fill each gap with one word.

The sentence is
THe ship..............................sank off the coast of tunisia is already giving historians fresh insights.

The answer is obviously "which". The question is, however, why cant "that" be used in the sentence.

5 May 2011      

IceQueeny
Russian Federation

We use "which" in subordinate clauses when we speak about things.We use "who" to speak about people. "That" substitutes both "which" and "who". That is why both "which" and "that" are the correct answers.

5 May 2011     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

The reason why the relative pronoun "that" cannot be used in this relative clause is because it is a non defining sentence. That is to say, the information the relative clause contains  "sank off the coast of tunisia" is extra information, not needed for the listener to know which ship the speaker is referring to. "THE" is used when something has already been mentioned before. If you omit the information the relative clause contains, the listener knows which ship the speaker is talking about: "The ship is already giving historians fresh insights." If we change the definite article for the indefinite one "A" the information will be necessary for the listener to know which ship the speaker is talking about and we can use both relative pronouns which / that: "A ship which / that sank off the coast of tunisia is already giving historians fresh insights." On the other hand, you must use commas in your sentence.
"The ship, which sank off the coast of tunisia, is already giving historians fresh insights."

Hope this helps.

5 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Both which and that are perfectly correct in this sentence.

5 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Both are correct. The book or test must be wrong or they are referring to an outdated (and very pedantic) grammar rule.

6 May 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry but I think that this sentence can be interpreted as both defining and non-defining. Is it necessary for deciding which ship ( in which case you can use that)or are we using it as extra information (cannot use that)?
This is why I loathe simple sentences or multi-choice used as testing devices because they are so open to subjective interpretation. To really understand the meaning you need the surrounding information that would come from a normal paragraph.
Try this example on other native speakers and I think you �ll find difficulty in reaching an absolute consensus.
Just my tuppence worth
Cheers Joy

6 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

I completely agree with Joy. It all depends on the context and without more info, I �d say both options are correct.

6 May 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

I think that can also be used, because this relative pronoun is in a defining relative clause. Although which is better, because it has the function of subject.

6 May 2011     

joe1
Albania

No punctuation given, so it �s defining. Both are fine. In modern usage, I wouldn �t say either is "better".

6 May 2011     

Gufgex
Brazil

If "..............................sank off the coast of tunisia" was set off by commas, then you would have to use "which" as it wouldn �t be open to interpretations, it would for sure be a nonidentifying clause.

6 May 2011