Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Proverbs...agree or not?    

Proverbs...agree or not?

Greek Professor
Greece

Proverbs...agree or not?

Good evening all...
Hope you are all well...

I am preparing some notes for my students on  a few proverbs that are in there book. Therefore I would like your help. I know the meaning of the provebs below but what I would like from you is to say whether  you agree or disagree with the following.

Thanks in advance. 

Money makes the world go round�.agree or not?

A fool and his money are soon parted - agree or not?

Money doesn �t grow on trees  - agree or not? 

8 May 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

The world did revolve before money was invented, so I guess we could all do without it again. However, old habits die hard. And then again, depends on what you mean by �world � - if it �s our planet, my previous statement stands. If it �s somebody �s own little world, then by all means, money does make some worlds go round. For others, who have less money, their small worlds move in triangles, as if their tyres were not round, but flat:)

Yes, especially if she �s a proper gold digger;) Just kidding(maybe). I would have to agree with this. But then again, depends whather being a fool is really all that bad. Sometimes in life, being a fool just comes in handy. 
I have never been good at biology, but as far as I know - the money tree still hasn �t been invented, genetically created or planted anywhere in the world, except for maybe the cyber world where creators of social networks have obviously found some rare money tree seeds which they won �t share with anyone else. So for us mortals - we can only hope to grow those in our gardens. Till then we can console ourselves saying that it �s not bad being a fool sometimes, and that our planet will keep on revolving without money anyway.

Sorry, I just couldn �t resist. But seriously, this is why I love proverbs - there is never just one side to each of them. Sort of like coins... there are always at least two sides to each proverb.

8 May 2011     

libertybelle
United States

There �s no denying that the world �s economy is based on money.

That �s the way it is.

Any idiot who flaunts his wallet -brags about his income or riches, his  iphone or other posseisions in public

is waiting to be robbed - that �s what it means - so yes, I agree.

True - you work to earn money - it doesn �t fall from heaven.
(or course, there are always those who will beg, borrow or steal, but that �s another story)

8 May 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks alot ladies...You both have been helpful.

8 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi GP

Agree

Agree

Agree for some (e.g. for those born with a silver spoon in their mouth, who then the second proverb may or may not apply to).  For others, disagree.

Cheers

Jayho

9 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Money makes the world go round......
I agree, money is essential-it what makes us work and economy is the utmost strength of every nation

A fool and his money are soon parted..
Agree, even if a person is born rich or somehow gets lucky, if he/she does not know how to use the money properly, the money will just disappear

Money does not grow on tree...
Agree, money LITERARY and FIGURATIVELY does not grow on trees...

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

9 May 2011     

mariannina
Italy

1. I agree, but I believe that also other values make the world go round. Money is the gasoline that pushes the car forward.
2. I agree. If you don �t use money wisely, sooner or later you find yourself with empty pockets.
3. I agree. It is important to have the measure of reality that only work and commitment give you.
Thank you and hugs
Mariannina

9 May 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks for your support everyone...

Funny...all agrees...and no disagree....LOL

Thanks again

9 May 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Disagree. Even though money is the most important thing in today �s world, and it leads to so much competiton and development at the same time, values keep on being the most important: what can you do with money if you have undervalued friendship and have not cared about your health?

A fool and his money are soon parted - agree or not? Agree. If we are not sensible, we will waste all our money!

Money doesn �t grow on trees  - agree or not?  Agree.If we want to succeeed, we will have to work hard to achieve everything we dream of.

9 May 2011