Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Native Americans - Song    

Native Americans - Song

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Native Americans - Song

Hi everybody!

Do you happen to know an interesting song somehow related to Native Americans/Indians for upper-intermediate students?
Thanks in advance!
Cristina

9 May 2011      

teresapr
Portugal

Dear Cristina,
Though not a native, I tried to do my best. Have a look. I hope they may be helpful!

9 May 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Colors of the Wind

10 May 2011     

roneydirt
United States

What type of song do you want and what do you want to do with it?  Tere put some interesting sights up.  There is such a wide variety you could go for years showing something new every week.  This includes old stories, old songs, new stories, new songs, types of Drum Circle Dances, clothing, and plus.  I think the student �s would really get a kick as seeing the Feather Dance, but the Drum Circle might sound weird since it is usually in the group playing traditional language, still had fun with that especially when the student�s pointed out I was singing to two of them.  On Youtube you can find the Bear Creek Drum circle and see some of my distant kin.

10 May 2011     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Well, Roney, my students have to go through the topic "Indigenous cultures". I started it today with a quiz, a poem and a text about Native Americans, but I felt that my students were rather bored. So, I thought that a nice song could be an interesting way to go on talking about the topic because most teens love music. I �m just looking for a song that might be appealing for teens. 

10 May 2011     

franzjosefaut
Austria

Hey.

Native Americans are not about songs!
The men sing at certain dances and it has hardly anythig to do with music that might entice your teenagers to be more interested.
Unless they find monotous sounds, like - bark loudly: high note, low, low, low, low, low .... (and the same note) high, low, low, low, low, low .... (and the same note), over and over again.
Perhaps you need to look at the Native American culture from a different angle.
I�m afraid that quizzes, poems and such, are perhaps what�s boring your teenagers.
How about: put your teenes in groups and let each group re-enact a scene out of the life of a Native American teen - now and the, perhaps?

Best wishes and good luck,
Franz

If you�d like to contact me, please, use my email:
[email protected]

10 May 2011     

douglas
United States

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Talking-Leaves-lyrics-Johnny-Cash/67A4196C5897334E48256DEA000A6D93
(I remember this song from history class, maybe you can us it--my history teacher didn �t sing it so well though.)

Most of these are not of "Native American" origin, but they paint a picture of some of the culture which might be useful for your students.

Douglas

10 May 2011     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Well, Franz I was not looking for a Native American song, but for a song that could somehow portray their culture or what was done to them (and still is). But the suggestion of a sketch is quite interesting.

10 May 2011     

anafonseca
Portugal

Well, I �m not going to use songs, but I �m going to use some poems which portray their lifestyle before and after the coming of the white man. I �m going to upload them in the site as soon as possible, but if you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I �ll send them to you. 

10 May 2011