Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Timing is always off at the end    

Timing is always off at the end

annabelle1654
Germany

Timing is always off at the end

I teach low level technical english to adults.  I hate the last fifteen minutes of class, because I don �t want to start something new, but the time seems to drag if we don �t.  I �ve tried games, 10min is too short, 15min can be too long, and longer than that is class time.  I can �t seem to find a way to give the class closure.  Any  ideas?

Thanks in advance for your generousity and warmth,

Belles

10 May 2011      

cheezels
New Zealand

Maybe you need something else at the start or middle rather than the end?
:-)

10 May 2011     

annabelle1654
Germany

Hi Cheezels,

Maybe you �re right, perhaps start with a warm up? or review?

Thank you for your suggestion,
Belles

10 May 2011     

douglas
United States

I always spend the first 10-20 minutes of class just chatting (what they did on the weekend, currrent events, etc.)--also with techincal English groups.  It really helps their oral skills.

Maybe that is an option, if you still have time at the end I have topic cards (some of them I downloaded here) that they draw and have to talk about or we talk about their opinions on current events or some other subject.

Douglas

10 May 2011     

msneez
Malaysia

may i know wat �s the meaning of technical english? is it a subject? a course?

10 May 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I agree with Douglas. Some time spent "warming up". Chatting on a topic, maybe unrelated to the technical stuff you �re doing but conversational things.
I often get my students who are at a lower level to read or listen to the news in THEIR language as homework but then come to the next lesson and present it in a small group in English. A summary of what it was about etc.
Maybe talking about their favourite movie, favourite restaurant... the topics are endless and there is a ton of conversational stuff on the internet as well as here. I can highly recommend this user
http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/author.asp?user=57991#thetop
Her picture conversation printables are super! And as they have pictures they are terrific no matter what your level.

Good luck!

10 May 2011