Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English native speakersī help needed    

English native speakersī help needed

-Namarie
Mexico

English native speakersī help needed

Hi everyone.

First of all, I īd like to thank all of you for your contributions to other teachers like me, that are always trying to improve trhough the use of creative activities.

Today, I find myself in trouble and need your help one more time, I īve been assigned a small project for the self access center I work in, and it requires some readings to be recorded by English native speakers, I would like to know if any of you would be so kind to help me with this task as I am not an English native speaker and my pronunciation is not quite accurate as it is required for these activities.

I īd really appreciate your help. Thank you so much for reading this post.

10 May 2011      

jacquiepat
Albania

Hi, 

I īm ready to do one for you if you like - Northern British accent. (mother tongue)

10 May 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Namarie,

I will help you if I can.

I am British English, with a slight North of England accent.

However, I was on the Stage for several years, so if you wish, I can vary my voice and speak in different accents and registers.

Les Douglas

11 May 2011     

-Namarie
Mexico

Thank you very very much.

I have just sent you a private message.

Greetings!

11 May 2011     

teachertonyinchina
China

I am willing to help you if I can. I am originally from the North of England but have a very neutral accent as I have taught synthetic phonics for many years.

11 May 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

I īm willing to help you if I can. BTW, I īm a phonetics teacher

11 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@ Antony

Could you tell me what a īneutral accent ī is and how to develop it? I īm not an expert in phonetics or even prosody but I īve been led to believe that, linguistically, there īs no such thing as a natural zero point from which everything else is a deviation. This obviously has serious consequences for ESL teaching as you can see from Namarie īs post: some teachers may simply give up on pronunciation instruction if they perceive their own accent as somehow deviant.

I assume by īneutral ī, you mean that your accent can īt be placed geographically (or socially, for that matter). So, is it a neutral English accent as opposed to, say, a neutral American accent? 

11 May 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I think we talk about a natural accent when it īs an accent that can īt be identified with a particular region.
I īm also from the north east of England but Ive lived in Spain for 16 years.  My accent has changed towards neutral but it is still very recognisable as a geordie accent, albeit diluted.
:-)  here īs to accents!!

11 May 2011     

-Namarie
Mexico

I īve learnt a lot from this forum!!

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and for your support!

14 May 2011