Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A grammar doubt    

A grammar doubt

joycemon
Spain

A grammar doubt

Hi everybody! I was wondering if you could help me, we are doing reported speech in class and today I had a problem with a sentence:
"Have you fed the cat yet" she asked - which answer is correct?
a) she asked if I had fed the cat yet 
b) she asked if I had already fed the cat 

Thanks a lot in advance!

11 May 2011      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I �d go for option B, since the reported sentence doesn �t form the question itself

Smile

11 May 2011     

rangel
Portugal

I would also choose option B because "already" doesn �t exist in the original sentence.

11 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I don �t understand either of the answers from Kate and rangel, and both options sound OK to me. I have a feeling that there �s a "rule" that says that you can �t use "yet" in this situation (because of the past perfect or something), but I don �t really know that there is such a rule. If it exists, it probably has to do with "already" referring to the past (which the reported speech is), and "yet" referring in a sense to the future. I �m sorry that I can �t really help.

Bruce

11 May 2011     

alexcure
Poland

Yes, Bruce. According to the British grammar rules only the option B is correct. 

12 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I �m with Bruce - both sound ok in natural speech but option B must be the grammatically correct option becasue of the yet/already scenario

12 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

I will go for option B because the statement contains the word "yet", an adverb which refers to a particular temporal expectation and there is no adverb to complement option A when the statement is converted to a question. Option B, however, contains adverb "already" which refers to a particular expectation on time, so i think, it is much a better answer.

when we say " have you fed the cat" we refer to the action, whether it is done or not, when we say " have you fed the cat yet" we refer to the action and whether it had met our expectation ( we expect it to have already been done). Thus, option B incorporates the expectation with the addition of "already".

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

12 May 2011     

Emanuel22
Costa Rica

That �s right! Option B is grammatically correct

12 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

LOL English is even more difficult than I thought- I would have got this wrong.

It sounds OK to me, just as it does to other native speakers. 

�Have you fed the cat yet? � she asked.
Reported speech: She asked if I had fed the cat yet.

�Have you already fed the cat? � she asked.
Reported speech: She asked if I had already fed the cat.

@ sirhaj: If I ask �Have you fed the cat yet? � I realise the cat may have been fed, and I don �t want to feed it twice. I don �t expect that the cat has been fed.
There is more expectation of the task being done if �already � is used in direct speech.

I can �t find the yet/already �rule � in my English usage/ grammar books.

I �ve searched for examples of reported speech and the sentences I found used yet if that was what was in the direct speech.  Confused

12 May 2011     

douglas
United States

I �m with Apodo--as a native speaker I would have gotten this one wrong.

12 May 2011     

saratbl
Japan

I also would have gone for Option A.

12 May 2011     

1    2    Next >