Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The right phrase    

The right phrase

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

The right phrase

Hello dear colleagues,

I would like to ask you for help. I �m not sure whether  you can say:  He was excluded from school.  I would use expelled from school. What do you think? I looked the phrase up but the examples in the dictionary don �t mention school, but use the phrase in other contexts.

Thank you very much. I wish you a nice day.

12 May 2011      

douglas
United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_(academia)
Something I didn �t know, but apparently there is a difference in the UK school system.  

As I understand the above link, if you are expelled too many times you can be excluded from the entire school system.

Can any UK folks confirm this?

Edit (from link):

"...in the state sector in the UK it is rare for a pupil to be expelled (permanent exclusion is the current term for expulsion)."  --so sometimes there is a difference between the terms (?).

12 May 2011     

susanjwh
United Kingdom

If he was excluded from school, then it will be for a set time, and he can return.

If he is expelled from school, he will never be allowed to return.

At least that is how we use the term in the UK.

:-)

Susan

12 May 2011     

franzjosefaut
Austria

To be expelled from school means a punishment has been decided upon.  If a student is to be expelled for good, never allowed back, the school must find an alternative for the student.
A student may be excluded from scholastic activities for various reasons.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Franz

12 May 2011     

douglas
United States

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=99&id=2239

Based on southern Australian school system rules:

Suspension is a form of discipline. A student is not allowed to attend school or go to school activities for a set length of time. This length of time can vary from a few days to many weeks, depending on how bad the problem behaviour is.

Exclusion refers to longer periods of suspension (within the public (government) school system). As well as suspension and exclusion, a more extreme form of discipline that is sometimes used is

expulsion. This refers to the exclusion of a student from a school or school system for a period ranging from 6 months to a number of years.

According to the Minnesota (USA) school system:

Expulsion means a school board action to prohibit an enrolled student from further attendance for up to 12 months from the date the student is expelled.

Exclusion means an action taken by the school board to prevent enrollment or reenrollment of a student for a period that shall not extend beyond the school year.

12 May 2011     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions and answers. I now understand the difference although the meanings differ depending on the variety of English (AmE, BritE).

12 May 2011