Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need some help with synonyms...once again    

Need some help with synonyms...once again

Zora
Canada

Alright, if both of them are accepted... (I �d have picked "d" myself) - and upon rereading the sentence a few times; I �d say the difference between the two might be this.

When you "commend" you speak well of something. In the sentence the word "rival" comes up and this got me to thinking that they probably speak well of each other, even though they are rivals. They are commending each others hard work. Being polite and respectful, not petty.

Now, I would doubt "rivals" would extol each others work... meaning praise it to high heavens. You wouldn�t want people to think that they are better than you.

That is what I am getting from what Douglas posted and the way it �s being used in the sentence.

13 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi again

I think some of you misread my answer - I went for option a commending

Maybe I was unclear because I hadn�t consumed my daily caffeine dose.  What I was trying to say was that extol is not in my vocabulary.  I rarely hear it and never use it and thus I never considered it as an option.  But when I googled it I saw that it did indeed come up as a collocation with virtue, but not as often as commending did. So, I�m opposite in thought to the other NS�s.  Now, after a days worth of caffeine, my opinion is still unchanged.  However, I can extol the virtues of caffeine ... (and yes, that does indeed sound better than commend).

Now, interestingly enough, if you look here, at this most interesting paper, you�ll see both extol the virtue and commend the virtue used. 
- THE LAW AS BARD: EXTOLLING A CULTURES VIRTUES, EXPOSING ITS VICES, AND TELLING ITS STORY
- have invariably commended the virtue of perseverance in the face of suffering
It�s published by a group which is part of Cengage Learning in Australia so it is a reputable source.

So Magneto, you may never know the real answer ...

Cheers

Jayho

P.S.  Take a look at this

13 May 2011     

magneto
Greece

Well, yes, I guess I may never know it after all...Oh, well! I �ll stick to the key and save your responses to try and explain why commend is the correct answer.

Thank you everybody!

Have a great day/ eveningSmile

13 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2