Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lulu Publisher    

Lulu Publisher

sirhaj
Malaysia

Lulu Publisher

Hi Everybody,

I have written a collection of short stories and poems which revolved around the theme of "Iconic Figures of Celebration" in which I focus on the prominent characters/figures of each celebration. I am planning to publish it through Lulu Publication. I need to invest some money though in US dollar ( it �s a lot for me because our currency is way lower than US and I am still a student-teacher, I am not working yet). I have consulted this in the forum before and one member suggested "Lulu" for me. Do you guys think it �s ok for me to proceed with this company? I am hoping the answer is yes . Please help me.

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

15 May 2011      

David Lisgo
Japan

Have you spoken to a local printer? I have self published 3 workbooks. I did the layout and everything myself so the only thing my local printer had to do was print, cut and bind. The price was a little cheaper than in the US and I didn �t have the expense of postage.

15 May 2011     

folidom
Germany

Hi Sirhajwan, what about the promo? Does the publishing house guarantee a certain amount of your books to be sold within a certain period of time (just to make sure you get your money back). Do they promote your book at book fairs, in catalogues etc. It �s no big deal for a company to print it when the author is taking most of the risk. Have the contract checked, just to make sure that there are no additional costs on your side, which they could come up with at a later point in time!
Regards
folidom

15 May 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I wonder why you �re eager to publish in print.
Is it because
a/ you expect to sell your books (or have them sold for you) and rake in copyright;
b/ you want a printed book to put on your coffee table;
c/ make your writing available locally/worldwide for others to buy?

If it �s a, I �m not sure Lulu is a good choice (just Google Lulu publishing scam/complaints and you �ll find stuff like this).
If it �s b, why not have a few copies printed locally (and pay a bit more per copy).
If it �s c, I �m wondering if others will actually pay real money to buy your book. If money is not important, why not publish your book online for everyone to download free? That way you �ll get more exposure and more will read your book.

15 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thanks guys!!!! I am deeply considering your suggestions, thank you, I am so happy that you guys are willing to help me. Thank you very much!!!!

Sirhajwan

15 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sirhajwan

I don �t know anything about Lulu however one of our members, Frank, has published his own poetry book(s) as well as a fundraising book with contributions from members here.  You may like to PM him for advice.  His account is here .

Cheers

Jayho

15 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you jayho, thank you very much.  I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

15 May 2011