Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Word order    

Word order

Apodo
Australia

In July should definitely go at the beginning or the end of the sentence dependng on the context and the emphasis.

I had a busy year. In June I studied English and in July I went on holiday to Portugal with my family.

What did you do last summer? I went on holiday to Portugal with my family in July and in August I visited my granparents.

16 May 2011     

Riphly
United States

Following convention, the following is most acceptable:

I went with my family on holiday to Portugal in July.

Though the �rules � are merely conventions, things before �personal � before �styles and methods � ahead of �places � before �time � followed, illogically, by �purpose � then �cause �.

Example:

I ate the sandwich with my friend deliciously with a fork at the park on Saturday to satisfy myself because we were hungry.

I ate the sandwich(thing) with my friend(personal/situational) deliciously(style) with a fork(method) at the park(place) on Saturday(time) to satisfy myself(purpose) because we were hungry(cause).

I say that the order �purpose then cause � is illogical because the cause occurs in time ahead of the action whereas the purpose (expected outcome) occurs after the action. However, the reason for the order is that the �purpose � may accidentally become the purpose of the content of the cause if the purpose follows the cause.

I made the sandwich to feed myself because I was hungry.
I made the sandwich because I was hungry to feed myself (?!).

16 May 2011     

douglas
United States

manner-place-frequency-time-purpose

adverbial phrases can be used at the beginning of a sentence as well--particularly with time.

-time is (grammatically incorrectly) also often �laced at the end of the sentence when speaking.

--ALL of these rules can be broken in order to make the sentence "sound" better, to prevent misplaced modifiers,  to prevent confusion, and to prevent having too many adverbs in a row.

Unless it is needed for testing purposes, I tell my students not to sweat wprd order so much--therer are too many exceptions and even native speakers can �t agree on it (for example I would never use Riphley �s "most accepteable" sentence.)

Douglas

16 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �m going to take tancredo �s advice and go for a visit. It �s already too hot in Spain for me!

16 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2