Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Town and village    

Town and village

atsitab
Portugal

Town and village

Good evening dear colleagues,

Would you please tell me what �s the difference between a village and a town?
Thank you,

Ana

16 May 2011      

treasure0911
France

the size!
A town is much bigger than a village.
Hope it helps!

A.

16 May 2011     

atsitab
Portugal

Yes, I know that. I have translated the Portuguese word "Vila" as "small town", but someone has told me I was wrong and that I should have written village instead, but for me village is a small place. I thought that there should be a way of distinguish them.

Thank you anyway for having answered so soon!

Ana

16 May 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

You may use these terms:
city - millions of citizens, very large, tall buildings, modern skyscrapers, eg. New York City

town - thousands of inhabitants, several churches, sometimes a castle, many shops...
township = market town = borough -- small town / large village, hundreds, a few thousands inhabitants
village = old or new houses + at least one shop and a church, a few hundreds villagers, originally a rural village
hamlet = small cluster of rural houses (round the mill/farm/harbour/mine for example), with no church, maybe a parish
colony = a small new village, a small new settlement (eg collonisation of America)

PS: villa is originally a Roman country house, now a (upper-class) summer house, a bungalow, a house with a ground floor only (no first floor)

16 May 2011     

atsitab
Portugal

Thank you!

17 May 2011     

atsitab
Portugal

Thank you!

17 May 2011     

douglas
United States

Usage: In England, a hamlet denotes a collection of houses, too small to have a parish church. A village has a church, but no market. A town has both a market and a church or churches. A city is, in the legal sense, an incorporated borough town, which is, or has been, the place of a bishop �s see. In the United States these distinctions do not hold. [1913 Webster]

I like this definition the best.  In England it is more defined, we Americans use the terms loosely.  (i.e.: My hometown is Los Angeles.)

17 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

In the UK, a city, strictly speaking, has a cathedral. So, Douglas is most definitely right. For example, the City of Ely in Cambridgeshire only has a population of about 20 thousand! I would say that the American version of city could be described as a "bloody enourmous town" by us Brits. I was born in a hamlet which I usually explain to my students as a very small village. Once again Douglas is right in that a hamlet has no church. It often has a chapel though, as the hamlet I was born in used to have (it �s now a very cool private house next to a field of medical marihuana crops!!!). The definition Douglas gives is 100% correct - for us Brits! When it comes to Americans, Australians, Canadians etc. I would say, to simplify things, the following: 1. A hamlet = very, very small (population from about fifty to the hundreds) 2. A village = very small (population from the hundreds the thousands) 3. A town = bigger than a village (population in the tens of thousands) 4. A city = bloody enourmous town! Well, that �s what I normally tell them anyway. How do the Irish define this? Is it the same rules as the Brits or is it different in a Catholic country?

17 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Spinney

Actually, downunder we donďż˝t really have hamlets or villages.  We really just have towns and cities and these are in regions. Sometimes towns, especially small ones, are called townships. Itďż˝s all quite simplistic whereas in Britain it is quaint and typically British. 

This is one of my favourite Australian townships with a village-like atmosphere.

Cheers

Jayho

17 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks for that Jayho! I had no idea! I suppose "township" is a word from the colonial days. I know the word is used in South Africa, also. As for Milton, it looks like England with Sunshine! I wonder if Ryanair will every get there? Actually, looking up the names of unusual villages in the UK is always good for a laugh. I was born very close to a place called "Grunty Fen" and when I was in the forces, our training camp was very close to two villages called "Upper Ting Tong" and "Lower Ting Tong" in Devon. Cheers

17 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Yes Spinney, it is England with Sunshine and no, Ryan air will not get you there but it is a lovely 3 hour coastal scenic drive from Sydney passing through picturesque village-like townships that you ďż˝ll simply fall in love with. 

I know what you mean about unusual names - we have plenty of those and you can check some out here and  here.

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. and of course as Murphyďż˝s law would have it, the first example uses the word hamlet.  Others are referred to as settlement but really that is not used anymore unless referring to historical roots.

17 May 2011     

1    2    Next >