Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can anyone help me with the meaning of this sentence: "Facts merely cloud an issue"    

Can anyone help me with the meaning of this sentence: "Facts merely cloud an issue"

phnhu76
Vietnam

Can anyone help me with the meaning of this sentence: "Facts merely cloud an issue"

Dear All,

I need your help.

Tks

17 May 2011      

maryse pey�
France

hi dear,

in my opinion it means that the facts make the issue difficult to find instead of making it easy to come in mind.

Let �s wait our dear EXPERTS � advice.

17 May 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. That is sometimes said when the facts don �t actually support a statement or claim.

17 May 2011     

douglas
United States

to "cloud" something is to make it less clear.

In some cases having too many facts can cause an issue to become less clear--perhaps by drawing/distracting  people from the real issue for example.

It comes from the movie "Mary Poppins"

17 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

"Don �t let facts get in the way of a good story." was/is an instruction to all aspiring tabloid journalists.

But we all know that "facts are chiels that winna ding"* (Burns), don �t we?

* facts are fellows who can �t be overturned.

17 May 2011     

catp
United Kingdom

I agree with Douglas.  If you have too much information, or facts, it becomes harder to work out what the correct answer should be.  Clouds are opaque (hard to see through); facts can be the same.

17 May 2011     

slkchina
China

I think this statement is meant to be a cynical look at how people make decisions based on emotions instead of facts. Similar to "Don �t confuse me with the facts. My mind is made up."

18 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

hi dear

Just my very humble opinion, because, as well as the others, I don �t know the context.

"Facts merely cloud an issue"

If, and only if, you are in a bad, a counter way in a discussion, if you want your idea to prevail, there, FACTS will do nothing, but darken a slightly bit of the issues.

Issues will prevail, even when facts are there to prove and justify.

This is, when you want to state something that is not true, but you are fully convinced or you are well determined to prove that thing...... well, that case , no matter the facts, because they will merely cloud ( darken, make less intelible ) the real facts.
And Issue wiil win, facts will loose.

My humble understanding of a lost sentence, like this.

If you ever happen to come to the real solution, I would like to hear from you.

I have been the whole afternoon, here, staring at it and trying to solve what it could be about.

Hope you manage to find out

Linda

18 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Just like the clouds hide the warmth and positive nature of the sun, in a given scenario facts might hide the real issue at the core of the discussion

18 May 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

"Facts cloud the issue" is right what this article is about. All the time they �ve been saying that immigration is good and now they gathered some facts that oppose that issue. Imho.

18 May 2011     

phnhu76
Vietnam

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your reply and I agree with slkchina because this is one of a sentence in the psycho test name " Are you intuitive?"

Love,

N.Nhu

18 May 2011     

1    2    Next >