Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Inexperienced teacher correcting exams    

Inexperienced teacher correcting exams

carinita
Argentina

Inexperienced teacher correcting exams

What would you do in this situation?

The last activity of a test I delivered last week to 2nd graders was a "Match and trace" activity
The thing is... I forgot to explain to the class that they had to complete the dotted lines to write the number words I did it after they had started doing the exam So many students didn �t pay attention and more than a half of the class didn �t do the tracing part
Students get  4 marks for the last activity Would you take into consideration if they traced the number words to score the test?

21 May 2011      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Well, as you forgot to tell them I �d suppose you should not take them the points off. In the end - it was your fault, not theirs. Some students may concentrate so much on the text they wouldn �t have to realize you �re telling them some more instruction.

21 May 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear carinita, I don �t think you should worry so much about it. I somehow always think we sould decide in favour of the children - if I make a mistake in explaining a task (or correcting the task), I never deduce points from the kids. I warn them for next time, but in this case especially - the traceable words are so visible that the kids may really not have noticed that they should trace them. The instruction does say match and trace, but they could have meant tracing means drawing the line. Plus, tracing the words is graphics, and you ARE grading their knowledge of English, right? But don �t be so hard on yourself, or the kids.

21 May 2011     

carinita
Argentina

Okie dokie and thanks!

21 May 2011