Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Symbols of Special Days    

Symbols of Special Days

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you Colibrita and Miss K. very thoughtful of you both, really appreciate that, I also thought about it, how about the word "famous characters"?

24 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

why not Famous Messengers for our Special Days ?

24 May 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

Maryse, good idea. Sirhaj, I think you will make the final decision on the final term. Personally I would use �word "symbols" (it has a wider meaning) as what many of characters you mentioned are. yes, they are very well�known.have a warm and sunny day!

24 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hey

We forgot about Groundhog, didn �t we?

I love that cute Phill, but I need to take a degree to be able to pronounce or spell that Censored   city of them: Punxsutawney  - LOL

24 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you Miss K and Maryse, I am sorry for being less sensitive on the use of the terms, I do not mean to offend anyone and if I did, I sincerely apologize. Please forgive me....Cry

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

24 May 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Christmas in Germany/Czech republic/Poland - baby Jesus in a manger (we find presents in the evening of the 24th of December under the Christmas tree, baby Jesus brings them secretly/unseen)
Mardi Gras = Carnival season at Easter - crazy animal masks (in CR)
Morana=the Death - Spring celebration - the straw figure of Death is burnt or thrown into river to show that the cold winter is "dead" and the lovely spring is coming

24 May 2011     

mariec
Spain

Sorry as I�m Irish I don�t consider the Leprechaun as a sympol of St. Patrick�s Day, It�s one  of the sympols of Ireland, together with the shamrock and the harp. These last two sympols are used more on St. Patrick�s Day than the Leprechaun.

Hugs

24 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you Moravc and Mariec!!! I really appreciate your replies. I love the idea of "Morana" as the symbol of death and winter. As for Mariec, I am sorry about the leprechaun, I thought it was the symbol of St Patrick �s Day because I always see leprechaun on TV and some other materials associated with the celebration.

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

24 May 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

What about famous icons associated with these celebrations?

24 May 2011     

xochitsin
Mexico

In Mexico we have the "day of the Death".

Maybe it seems a little rude for those who are not use to celebrate that... but we have a HUGE PARTY full of color and kindness. The representative figure can be a sweet with skeleton shape.

Aztecs celebrated it in August, but with the Spanish conquest the date was changed and nowadays is on November 2nd.

Hugs,
Xochitl

24 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >