Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Life of luxury / luxurious life    

Life of luxury / luxurious life

colibrita
United Kingdom

Life of luxury / luxurious life

Hi, i �m in a bit of a brain fog at the moment, perhaps someone can explain...

Why do we tend to say somebody �s led a "life of luxury" and not a "luxurious life?

However, we talk about a having a luxury lifestyle but not a lifestyle of luxury. How can I explain the difference to my Ss?

I �d google it but don �t really know what grammatical area I should be going for?

Hugs from a sultry, brain stultifying Barcelona

Colibrita

24 May 2011      

Zora
Canada

Well, I would say that you could use both depending on context.

Lead a life of luxury is to have a rich, indulgent lifestyle like that of Donald Trump. Expensive cars, apartments everywhere, private islands, etc.

A luxurious lifestyle would be a life full of self indulgence. i.e. massages every day, chocolate on your pillow, a bath drawn for you by somebody, etc. You are treated like a queen or king.

Hope that helps my little hummingbird. Smile

24 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

My brain is just as foggy as yours but Zora�s explanation makes sense.

As an aside though, did you know that you can enjoy a life of luxury at Central Grammar Apartments ? LOL

24 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Yes, Colibrita

foggy, foogy, foggy dew....
Well, about Zora �s second lifestyle, apart from a box of choco, every now and then, ( but not on my pillow, just like this - take, here, a box of choco for you -, I really don �t know what she is talking about. My shower is always a quick and go, massages for me ... only if I would break some bones and need some special therapy, I guess....

But they treat me fairly well, not like a queen, when my kids were really kids ( how I miss them at that age ) they wouldn �t  call me queen, but most frequently they would say I was a sargent.
That �s a good thing, isn �t it? They knew I was not but a poor soldier, I was the sargent and I was always on charge.

Second style  - appartments everywhere. Please, please, no, don �t do that to me, I don �t deserve , I have enough of houseworking, don �t want more.

So, having a look at this small report, what would you say my life is?

Come on, I �m waiting for your replies. I want to know what kind of life I have.

Hugs, loving you, hope you all get the style you prefer  LOL

Linda

24 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ay, Linda ... I only ASPIRE to that desired lifestyle. *sighs*

Massages are something that I�ve only heard about. My chocolate is hidden in the cupboard just in case, after a hard day, I eat it all in one sitting. My bath (which I do love) are drawn by me, no candles or soft music accompany them... only a book or my cat, who stares at me (after crying at the door to get in) and occasionally swipes at a bubble. 

You see, my luxurious lifestyle is not quite a life of luxury... although, I really can�t complain. Chocolate and hot baths with a book and a kitty after a hard day make everything better.  Wink

24 May 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Colibrita,

I think that we use the phrase, �A life of luxury�, because it appears to emphasise the first word, the noun, �life�, and give it a certain poetic quality.  To the listener, the apparent result is that �life�, in its entirety, consists of �luxury�.  (Moreover, this phrase has the benefit of the alliteration of the repeated �L�, �A Life of Luxury�).

In my opinion, although, �A luxurious life�, represents a similar thought, the phrase is more mundane.  The first word, the adjective, �luxurious�, describes only one aspect of �life�, not its entirety.

When we compare the scansion of the two phrases, the first has �a LIFE of LUXury�, with two definite strong beats.  This gives it a pleasing rhythm.

The second has only one definite strong beat. �a luxURious life�, the rhythm of which leaves the listener slightly unfulfilled.

Perhaps we can notice a similarity, if we compare the two phrases:  �A thing of beauty� and �A beautiful thing�.  Which appears to be the more striking, the more poetic?

There are many phrases with a similar construction to, �A life of luxury�, which the English speaker appears to prefer.  Many of them have been used as the title of books, films, TV programmes, etc.

�A life of bliss�;  �A life of crime�;  �A life of danger�;  �A life of despair�;  �A life of her own�;  �A life of leisure�;  �A life of meaning�;  �A life of poverty�;  �A life of prayer�;  �A life of prosperity�;  �A life of purpose�;  �A life of Riley�.

I think that, �A blissful life�, �A criminal life�, �A dangerous life�, etc, might not be such eye-catching titles.

These are just my thoughts.

Les

24 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Les,
This reply is even more eloquent than your usual. I really like your idea here, and I �d like to add one thing. In English, we don �t use the word "of" nearly as much as in other languages, so that word alone adds some weight to a phrase.

Compare these two menu descriptions:
A lemon-raspberry tart
A tart of lemon and raspberries

The second one sounds more special, partly because of the word "of" (and the longer construction that accompanies it)

Bruce

24 May 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks guys for helping to lift the fog and Les, wow, your brain is definitely a thing of beauty. What an amazing answer. Mua mua mua!

Hugs to you all

La Hummingbird

("Oh maid, can you draw me my bath now, and bring me a slice of tart of lemon and raspberries, and a glass of champagne")

25 May 2011