Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching approaches and learning theories    

teaching approaches and learning theories

Vickiii
New Zealand

good point logos, although one small correction, these are �teaching theories� not language acquisition.  There is a distinct difference.  I should have clarified. Lanaguage acquisition and teaching theory are two distinct areas of study. 

TEaching theory is how you teach, language acquisition is what you teach.

18 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

It�s funny but I find (have found) teaching to be instinctive... maybe it�s because I love learning and explaining... I have, probably like a lot of you, skipped over "methods" and just plunged into things and just dealt with things as they come along.

Sometimes you need to explain a certain way when dealing with one concept, sometimes you need to - as I like to put it - stand on your head and sing for them - to finally get them to understand another. I think teaching, and a good teacher, can�t always do things "only one way because that�s the correct way..."

Example: The Spanish system is really geared toward memorization of concepts instead of hands on, real life situations with real examples that a student can understand. I came here (to Spain) from Canada - where the teachers are more interested in the learning process than the final result - and I floundered horribly because I cannot memorize and teachers wanted things memorized. Confused For me, to understand something it needs to be explained simply because I need to understand the concept... Although,  my sister is a memorizer and did quite well in the system...

So to me, a good teacher is a person who can recognize that each student has different ways of learning and has to be open to trying new things, since not all methods are good for every student.

18 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I agree Zora, a good teacher needs a wide set of tools in their teaching kit.  I use a wide range of approaches and strategies to engage my students.  what is right for one - will never work for another. 

I think that there are many teachers who as you say skipped over "methods" and just plunged into things and just dealt with things as they come along�.  And this can work extremely well for teachers - in fact i encourage people to do what �seems� right - because this is how we become effective teachers.

I also believe in the value of understanding the theory behind the methods.  If you understand the theory and the �why it works� you are able to adapt things to better meet the needs of your students. 

18 Dec 2008     

r.a.i.n
Saudi Arabia

Thank you for sharing with me your experiences and knowledge,

you  are great Teachers Heart

I�m a kind of teacher who use lots of strategies and motheds
but without konwing the name of each method or theory
I just adopt them according to the situation and they work

that�s why I want to expand my konwledge,

p.s Thanks Vickii for the e-mail

Thank you all    

18 Dec 2008